Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

pics

Lucky13

Now i realize that this is a very young buck but I am new to attempting to age a deer...and if this deer is 2.5 then to me he has very good genetics and in two years could be a pig...now this is all speculation because i literally have no idea what im talking about...:p

Many 2.5 year old bodies can be huge in Iowa. i have shot them before but that was before i started passing them. It can be hard to pass them with a 120" rack but once you start passing them it gets easier. great potential there on that one, hope he makes it through.

Looks like a nice 2.5 year old. They come bigger than him, but also smaller than him for that age class.

i would never shoot this deer at this point and i know this subject gets pounded pretty hard but i am originally from the state of Michigan where this deer would get killed and it would be one to be proud of...so are most of the 1.5 yr old deer out there spikes and forks?

Many are forked and spikes but will have good rack the second year. i have seen 1.5 year olds with real tiny 6 and 8 point racks though, it's really kind of neat to see a really small 8 point rack about the size of your hands.

i would never shoot this deer at this point and i know this subject gets pounded pretty hard but i am originally from the state of Michigan where this deer would get killed and it would be one to be proud of...so are most of the 1.5 yr old deer out there spikes and forks?

Some are some are 6 and 8 points as yearling. Have seen a few that were 10's...all the 10's were in the back of someone's truck...ouch.

Generally 6 point average IMO for 1.5's with some 8's and some small as spikes.

i just find it crazy how big a deer can grow...the last four years i lived in north dakota and only chased ducks and geese...now that im back to sitting in a tree stand and the fact that i live in southern iowa i really want to learn about aging deer and management...i still have so much to learn and am hoping to have my brain full by next fall....another question...is it normal to see a 2.5 yr old that only has 4 points? the reason i ask is on one of the farms i hunt i had a 4 pt with a pretty small body but a rack quite a bit bigger than the one in the vid come through that i wouldve guessed at 1.5 but just dont know what key signs to look for

i just find it crazy how big a deer can grow...the last four years i lived in north dakota and only chased ducks and geese...now that im back to sitting in a tree stand and the fact that i live in southern iowa i really want to learn about aging deer and management...i still have so much to learn and am hoping to have my brain full by next fall

You've came to the right place.. The guys here have many years of knowledge and are always willing to help. They convinced me to pass a 160 class main frame ten this year. They can be hard headed but always willing to help

Top Bottom