Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Piebald deer

Danno

PMA Member
There is a thread in the turkey section about an orange gobbler and pigmentation variation in turkeys. Which brings to mind a question that I have wondered about. Has anyone seen a piebald deer east of the Mississippi? I've seen them in the East, but never heard of one around Iowa.

yeah they are in Iowa, I've seen them in Eastern Iowa, and there is one I know of in Central Iowa
waytogo.gif

Yeah, I have seen one up in North Central Iowa. In St. Ansgar they have a albino mounted and displayed in the town.

we have one in the timber we hunt in, or did, I dunno if it is still there or not we saw it last year during shotgun. It is legal to shoot them isn't it?

There is a fair number of piebald deer in a certain southern county here in Iowa. I do believe that they vast majority of them in the area that I am referring to were birthed from a single albino doe that has been in the area for 7 years now. I have seen many piebald’s within a 3 square mile radius of this doe’s home territory.

I have seen this doe 5 out of the last seven years. I did not see her this past hunting season, but then I was not hunting in the area that I usually see her in. However a friend of mine says he did see her during this years bow season. I don’t know how old she is, but I do know that she appeared to me to be a mature doe the first year that I observed her 7 years ago.

I seen my first one anywhere last bowseason. Yes, here in Iowa. It was far enough away not to be able to tell if it was a small buck or a doe, but plenty of blotchy white to say piabald. Pretty darn cool.

Makes you wonder how common they really are. I saw one in Pennsylvania when I was in school out there, but never one here. I know white deer are really rare. We used to have one on our farm in Illinois when I was in High School. I know white deer are protected in Illinois, but I don't know about other States or piebald deer.

I have only seen one Piebald and that is the one that I shot. I shot him 4 years ago here in southern iowa. I had him lifesize mounted. I would add picture but I never have figuid out how to do it.

Come on man, we what to SEE the photo!
grin.gif

Get muddy to talk you through the down load process.
smirk.gif

I have seen this mount and it is way beyond cool. This piebald buck standing in snow with part of an old barb wire fence. You should get pictures up and tell the story when you can CAMOUP.

[ QUOTE ]
I would add picture but I never have figuid out how to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

CAMOUP.......I have the photo you sent to me cropped and ready to post. I am just waiting for you to give me the go ahead.
smile.gif

For those of you that have not seen this full body mount, it is a beauty.

Blake, If you don't mind go ahead a post the picture if you would. I have been trying to post but still not having any luck.. Thanks

Piebalds are not illegal to harvest in Iowa. I called the DNR in Des Moines and they looked up the law and it states, any deer can have up to 50% white and be legal 51% white would make it illegal. My local DNR officer looked at him and said it was a legal deer.. Im still trying to get a photo posted...

CAMOUPs Piebald Buck Story:

I shot him 4 years ago in the late muzzleloader season. When I saw him for the first time I did not shoot because not knowing if he was a legal deer. I went home and called our local game warden and explained to him what I had seen, after a short talk he said that he would be a legal deer. Three days later I went to where I had seen he a he came out and offered a shot. I called our game warden and asked for him to come by my house to see this deer. He did stop and he said that he was a legal deer. I had to get him life-size mounted since I will probably never see another in my lifetime. Hope you enjoy the picture.

398piebald.jpg

Top Bottom