Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

plans for next month

J

jason

How are you guys going to start off next month. Lost of aggresive calling since it's early?
What would happen if the snow did stick around until season? Would they still be bunched up?
Good luck!

Well, I'm going to do my best at finding where a few toms are spending there days and hopefully find out where they are roosted. From there I just try to call to the bird. By that I mean if he's hot, I'll hammer on him, but otherwise I've had pretty good luck calling not real aggressive.

...I think that a late spring can help turkeys hunters, especially in the early seasons...the hens may be ignoring the toms which helps make them easier to call in...however, if the hens are still flocked together it can make it tougher as the toms follow them around right off the roost...I do call more aggressively during the early season, especially if the hens are vocal...I also get as close as I can to roosted birds which can be tricky with few leaves on the trees...

My plan is to roost them the evening before and then set up somewhere that I can intercept them traveling to the hens or strut/feeding area. It is kind of like deer hunting in a way.

Top Bottom