Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Planting Corn & Beans

So a total of 10 acres the way u make it sound and 1st time u have had that kind of plot there- u will likely be set. The part that can be depressing is watching in August as everything "looks" awesome but every baby corn on the stalk gets eaten off. With good weather, proper weed control and the amount of acres u r doing- I bet u will be fine.

One last thing I found really helpful- u likely will notice by August or late aug how much area on edges that won't do anything or got killed- I mow and disc a strip around and plant a dbltree mix like rye/pea/oat/clover mix or turnips/radish in early aug or late July. Or both. It's good insurance and benefit for a ton of other reasons. Good luck, sounds like u have it dialed in so far.

Call your NRCS office, ask them about corn, beans and milo for plots. most will have connection, good seed too! That's if you don't go Pioneer route. If that doesn't work, I'd also check with your NWTF & PF chapters.

Oh- gotcha. I would assume ur talking beans right? I'd get em in ASAP. Ur farmers round u should have theirs done about now so u could ask around. 20 bags with big equipment can get put in pretty quick- hour or 2. U could use primitive methods if u have a 4 wheeler or small tractor. Have access to even a disc & something to pull it with? Or fairly loose soil and a harrow even? I'd shoot for asking a farmer but other options available too that can still have decent results.

I'm pretty much stuck with getting whatever sprayed that the local sprayer can get out on my place with equipment and time of year.

I've had a bunch of corn plots, and bean plots over the years. Most generally, if mother nature cooperates, I'll have food. If-not, then I just wasted a lot of time, energy, and money! Ah, the joys of farming....

Then ur into basics- do u have access to any equipment? There is rental places around as well. U can email dbltree (pm me if u need info) as another option- he's in ur area- could ask him bout drilling beans for u.

Top Bottom