Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Planting sunflowers

Sun flower stalks are hard on tires. My BIL’s family farms in central South Dakota, they run stalk stompers on the combine and grain cart tractor. His dad said they ruined a set of tires on a 9000 series JD in one season on a 1000 acres of sunflowers before they went to the stompers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like a job for my forestry mulcher. Haha

Ended up drilling instead of messing with corn planter. The genesis takes 1 minute to adjust. 20 lbs per acre. Planted today. See what happens!

Screenshot_20240519_165235_Gallery.jpg

You will have a nice thick stand. Follow up with plenty of fertilizer. Looking forward to seeing your success!

Alot of critters like sunflowers.
For sure, goldfinches LOVE them. One of the most beautiful things I have ever seen was flushing hundreds of these beautiful birds out of a sunflower patch I had. It looked like someone painted the sky yellow and black as they skedaddled as I approached it.

Ended up drilling instead of messing with corn planter. The genesis takes 1 minute to adjust. 20 lbs per acre. Planted today. See what happens!

View attachment 127404
Same here, had the farmer run them through his bean drill. Did 25#/ acre.

Have you used metachlor as a sunflower pre? Coop said try it, so we are trying on a 2 acre patch.

What’s your fertilizer program look like for them?

Same here, had the farmer run them through his bean drill. Did 25#/ acre.

Have you used metachlor as a sunflower pre? Coop said try it, so we are trying on a 2 acre patch.

What’s your fertilizer program look like for them?
I'm just doing what I've learned on this thread. I'm a sunflower newbie.

I burned down with gly and 24d several weeks before planting. Then tilled which took out new weeds. Then planted. I'm getting fert down now. 100-50-50. Spray Thursday with metachlor before anything germinates

Post the results for sure. I have a drill and it would be easier with that.
20 pounds an acres sounds like a high seed rate but I can’t remember the seeds per pound. 1 got 3 plots planted Mother’s Day and a couple more this past weekend.

Completely undisturbed soil on my test patch. Nuked gly, 2-4d. Follow with gly. Drilled, and followed with metachlor. Will fertilize here before the next rains. Will post results for sure!

Sis in law is a photographer, so she’s been bugging me about a nice sunflower stand! Haha.

I don't have the acres to plant them for a foodplot but..., if you wanna see the VERY BEST thing to have for a rubbing post, plant a few Mammoth Seeds in strategic spots. Ain't no stopping bucks from destroying them.
One of my annual fun project's.
Where are you getting these seeds and what are you doing for fertilizer? Just planting one lone seed?

Got sprayer loaded up with gly and Duel (s-metolachlor). Hoping to spray tomorrow. That may be my last window. Can't spray s metolachlor post emergent. Planted Sunday. Tomorrow be 6 days. Looks like germination is 7-10 days?

Question- when are you hoping they flower? We usually plant ours here in 2-3 weeks for end of August bloom time- then the birds just swarm in

Top Bottom