Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Playing the wind.

huntingkid

I wanted to get some thoughts from the experienced hunters. Playing the right wind. In the picture the red dot is my stand that hasn't been hunted yet this year and the blue lines are where I seem deer come out when scouting with the spotting scope. I was thinking a north or northeast or even maybe a east wind? Any thoughts?
6D8BDA15-896A-486C-BD6B-9BFC7A1953F3-20543-00001309E1FA5F1A.jpg

Assuming you are hunting in the evening sice you say deer "coming out" you should be ok. But who knows what travels that strip between the 2 timbers that you cannot see.

This is a fantastic looking spot. Assuming the field to the SE is feeding area, E or NE wind would be best for morning or evening hunts. Prolly could pull it off during mid day as well, although that would not be perfect (W or NW would be best at that time of day).

What I really like is the fact that it looks like you are sitting on a funnel between two bedding areas (N and SW shrubby looking stuff). Bucks will be running that funnel all day to cruise and scent-check does between the two spots. If you haven't already, try sitting there for a full day. You will be very surprised at what comes through between 11 AM and 2 PM.

Good luck!

This may be subject to ridicule and criticism but, Im a firm believer in the slogan "Forget the wind, just hunt" If you are still and quite and spray yourself down really well. Have all your scent elimination in order you can hunt whenever you want. I rarely look at the wind in any stand Im in. I have no problems seeing or killing mature deer with the bow. If I were playing the wind though in that setup, yes you are right n, ne would be great. I would shy away if it were a sw,w,nw.

Top Bottom