Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Plot in old CRP, what seed?

Just wondering what others think I should try planting. Good fertile ground, great moisture, sun, wind protection etc... Old CRP that is thinning.

Will likely mow, and either till or harrow heavily if needed. More corn and beans than any herd needs already, so looking for mainly a late season source.

Going to start small this year and see how they respond. Just shy of an acre. Thinking half clover/alfalfa, and half sugar beets or purple top, rape etc..

Also, good source needed in central iowa for such seed, don't think I can get it all from my co-op.

Been doing lots of reading, and want to figure it out before too late for most options.

If you're only talking an acre TOTAL, you ain't gonna get away with much. Clover or a rye/clover/radish/etc combo is probably the only thing that won't get destroyed. Radishes or turnips MIGHT last a little while but doubtful on that.
whatever you do, get the soil to tip-top levels & do it right. Not much room for mistakes on small plot. good luck!

Top Bottom