Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Plot "in the woods"

gundog870

Premium Platinum Member
I am working on about a 3/4 acre plot that is going to be heavily shaded just inside a field edge. Right now I am spraying and cutting like a mad man as this was extremely thick and I let it get away from me this spring. But I can bring myself to take down the major shade casting trees surrounding it.

Due to its location I am going to be limited to basically fire and a hand rake to clear, although I may get a 4 wheeler back there to drag. But this will pretty much be a no till plot this year with the crops at the stage they are.

1st off, what would you recommend for a good "all season" plot that does well in an area that is shaded the majority of the time? I want what everyone wants, major tonnage and high attraction.

And off the cuff what would you recommend for soil prep without knowing any real details.

I've got a plot similar to this and have had great results with dbltrees turnip, rape, radish mix. I'll see if I can find some pics.

Already gave you my recommendation Gunny.
I have a small 4' Disk, Cultipacker and Drag.
Can't be any more in the woods than what I have.

I started a plot very similar in size and location last year and used dbltree's winter rye/oats mix. A 50 lb bag of each will be more than enough. It's very cheap and effective. It provided good attraction in the fall and suppressed the weeds very well so far this year. I've bumped deer out of it a few times this spring/summer. There are beds all over in it.
I would take a soil sample and send it to Biologic. I think they are $7.50 and you will have results in just a couple days by email. Then take a bucket and trash can to your closest CO-OP and they will get you what you need. Put your seed and fertilizer down around 9/1 before a rain, drag or rake in if possible and you should be good.
Good luck!

Here's a couple pics of a quarter acre plot just off the ag fields. From 3pm until dark it was a train of deer every night from mid sept til dec. This was overseeded or it would be a lot taller. Still very effective.

Top Bottom