Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Plot Rotation

stunmags

Ok, so I have roughly a 4 acre plot in the shape of a horse. The sides of the horseshoe are roughly 1/2 acre each. I am going to plant both sides in clover in early spring and then in late July/early August, I am going to plow one side and put it into half brassicas and half rye mix consisting of rye, oats, and peas. Then the following year, I am just going to rotate the sides....side that was clover will become brassica/rye mix while the other side will be my clover plot.

Now the bottom of the horseshoe, which is roughly 3 acres, I am going to fence off until November 1st and put into beans. My question is can I broadcast something into the beans once they start to turn yellow that will grow along with the beans, but most importantly add nutrients and organic back into the soil so I can plant beans in that same plot the following years? I know if you keep planting the same thing over and over, it becomes more susceptible to disease. Just wondering if there was a way around this.

My experience with almost continuous beans.

I have planted beans in the same plots since 2016, Every year has been a great year for beans, I broadcast rye over them when the start to yellow. In April, I terminate the rye and anything else growing in rye with gly and 24d along with pre emergent. I no till(not a real no till planter but an old JD 71 planter, changes to factory condition) into this approx 2 weeks later(end of April first week of May). Last year I started a plan where I rotate 1 acre of corn into the bean plots. This will allow an acre of corn every year, with beans in a plot 3 years prior to corn. The corn last year turned out great and this year is no different

I soil tested and amended 2015 and haven't done it since(added approx a ton more lime per acre than recommended.. It was 6.7 at that time. My yields and results haven't changed except for drought impact.

I feel the rye is mining the nutrients for me and no tilling except for a heavy 2" disking after the corn year has kept my soil very healthy. I have a lot of earthworms in the plots when I pull up rye root balls in the spring.

Disease is very real & it’s not limited to “disease”. For example- plant brassicas over & over… u will get disease but most will see certain insects take hold where they damage brassicas big time.
Few need to or do understand Nematodes …. Big problem in many plants that stay a continuous monoculture.
Fungal issues are very big in soybeans. Sudden death, nematodes, etc.
Rotation alleviates diseases extremely well. It also cuts back on fertilizer & pesticides. Increases soil health.
3 years would be max id do anything continuous. The only exception MIGHT be CORN. & even that has its downsides & extra tasks that come with continuous.

Spots in western Iowa have run corn on corn for 30+ years. They say their hills will fall apart planting beans. I was asking a guy about this. I don't really understand how they can do that but I am assuming they are constantly switching corn varieties and herbicide tolerances

Spots in western Iowa have run corn on corn for 30+ years. They say their hills will fall apart planting beans. I was asking a guy about this. I don't really understand how they can do that but I am assuming they are constantly switching corn varieties and herbicide tolerances
My neighbor has done corn on corn for the last 7 years- this year is year 8 and its looking ragged (drought hasnt helped). Hes never ran the same corn twice he said, and he does tillage in weird patterns, says it helps material break down/erosion control and helps move stuff around the land. I dont get it, but he must know what hes doing as he has about 3500 acres.

Top Bottom