Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Poachers Busted!!

G

In the Ottumwa Courier today, it was reported that 6 'bowhunters' from Arkansas were arrested for poaching south of Bloomfield yesterday. Seems they were using radios, ATVs, etc., to poach deer. They were cutting the heads off and leaving the carcass to waste. They were also using resident tags, which these fellows weren't. That has cropped up to be a serious problem....some unsrupulous NRs acquiring resident tags thru friends when they don't get drawn.

We should all thank COs Matt Rush and Randy Mcpherran for helping take care of our herd in this part of the state. They have a tough job to do, and are consistently catching the bad guys!

While I don't mind nonresidents and don't want to group all nonresidents together I'm glad to see they're catching the one using resident tags.

A few years ago we thought it was odd that a certain nonresident drew every year while other folks we knew never draw. Finally called Des Moines and asked about a couple names. Turned out they were not on the list of nonresidet hunters. Confronted carrying his climbing stand/bow out of the woods. Local conservation officer had a nice talk with him and ended up with a new bow/stand.

The list of nonresident hunters is public information if you have a question about someone call Des Moines and have it checked out.

That's the most repulsive thing I have heard of! Who the hell do these people think they are and how do they get in-state licenses. Nice work on the bust!
Big Timber

I hope the DNR gets some more busts because I know there is more of this crap going on.Maybe that will curb it ...

I really hate seeing this happen. We need to stress the fun in our sport more than the keeping score. Poaching has gone on forever, but it has really escalated since the antler craze has caught on.

I know last year during shotgun season in Van Buren County there were several NRs hunting with resident tags when they had none, and they were caught also. Then the Florida guys using highpowers the year before that. I think the ease of getting a tag over the counter is something the DNR might want to look at....along with the penalties for the people providing them.

I am in no way insinuating NRs are a problem. There are just as many residents (if not more) that are guilty of this also. Those particular cases are what stood out the most to me since they were in the papers.

I figured that with the new electronic system it would be easier to catch these types of violations. I suspect a few people will get just what they deserve this year.

Quick question while I'm at it. Saw a farmer that had striped out his corn the week before shotgun season last year. Then opening morning he happened to pick the rest of the corn while his buddies were waiting at the end of the field picking out the bucks. Would that be considered driving deer with a vehicle? Maybe his combine should be confiscated?

I've wondered about this a lot, especially with pheasant hunters. I know for a fact that it's illegal to actually hunt from the platform of the combine, but what about sitting in field?

My thinking is that if it's obvious that you're walking with the combine waiting for it to push deer, then it's illegal. On the other hand, if you're in your 'regular' stand then I don't think it should be. This is probably unprovable in court, and there's a lot of grey area - what if someone's posted in a fencerow? The litmus test would probably end up being whether or not the shooters (I won't call them hunters) are in a place that they would normally be if the combine were not there.

Would be great to hear a CO weigh in on this.

I also hear stories of NR Hunters applying for and receiving resident licenses. Doesn't seem right when my NR Father follows the rules and gets drawn about 50% of the time. There should be some way of cross referencing state databases to curb this. They should also publicize the capture and conviction of poachers more. Good job on the recent convictions.

there is another big bust just been made. The violaters are looking at potential fines in excess od $38,000. Another bunc onf southerners.

The poachers stopped at a Dairy Queen in St. Louis. Unfortunately for them a Mo. Conservation officer was there for a cone also. Two of the poachers were all ready home in La. or another state. The offficer started asking questions and it unraveled. Had 11 illegal deer I think. I think they were hunting on resident licenses. Potentially, they could be in a lot worse shape. Those are Lacey Act violations and I believe that is as much as $10,000 per count.

Speaking of Lacey Act Violations...just a little tidbit of trivia for you. Passed in 1900, it was legislation drafted from Representative John Lacey from where? Why, Iowa, of course. Those Federal fines can be quite hefty, too!

Glad to hear some more scumbags have been caught. IMHO I think it should be illegal to sell antlers then maybe there wouldn't be such a demand for them except by the "hunters" themselves.

[This message has been edited by G6 (edited 11-09-2001).]

Yes there are lots of NR poachers down there but let's not forget about the resident Iowan scum. There are a lot more Iowans poaching than NR. I was hunting in Decatur County last week and heard stories of a couple locals killing a lot of big bucks as well as stealing stands. Everyone in town seems to know about them but for some reason they haven't been busted.

Just read a local news story about a couple of Louisiana hunters busted for poaching, could be one of the busts you asked about. Why would we waste our time taking away their Iowa hunting rights for just 5 years? Why not permanent? They got caught with 5 bucks and some does, killed not far from where I hunt here in Lockridge. Maybe my emotions are getting in the way of my judgement, but I think that when somebody cheats at something that I work my butt off to do, and I do it legally... maybe no punishment would ease my anger. Literally. I would like to say a huge THANK YOU, to the IDNR for busting these guys. What these guys do means a lot more when it hits closer to home. Question... did I contribute to them coming here to poach the deer? I've killed a couple nice bucks and have been in a couple mags. When we get nice bucks should we keep our mouths shut? Just brag to our friends?

Actually I think that it was near St Genevieve which is about 2 hrs south of St Louis, my brtoher in law works down there and said that the whole situation got a little hairy, there were like three truckloads of these guys from LA (cajuns) and one of the trucks saw the others being stopped and kept going. But eventually they hammered them also. Poaching is happening everywhere I think that they should be banned for life. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hunt iowa:
The poachers stopped at a Dairy Queen in St. Louis. Unfortunately for them a Mo. Conservation officer was there for a cone also. Two of the poachers were all ready home in La. or another state. The offficer started asking questions and it unraveled. Had 11 illegal deer I think. I think they were hunting on resident licenses. Potentially, they could be in a lot worse shape. Those are Lacey Act violations and I believe that is as much as $10,000 per count.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually I think that it was near St Genevieve which is about 2 hrs south of St Louis, my brtoher in law works down there and said that the whole situation got a little hairy, there were like three truckloads of these guys from LA (cajuns) and one of the trucks saw the others being stopped and kept going. But eventually they hammered them also. Poaching is happening everywhere I think that they should be banned for life. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hunt iowa:
The poachers stopped at a Dairy Queen in St. Louis. Unfortunately for them a Mo. Conservation officer was there for a cone also. Two of the poachers were all ready home in La. or another state. The offficer started asking questions and it unraveled. Had 11 illegal deer I think. I think they were hunting on resident licenses. Potentially, they could be in a lot worse shape. Those are Lacey Act violations and I believe that is as much as $10,000 per count.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

update on the poachers caught in Iowa talked to a friend of mine tonight he & his cousin were hunting on the property next to these guys they got $18,000 in fines got 3 matthews bows confiscated 3 ladder stands and a pickup and three hand held radio's

[This message has been edited by R/B DUDE (edited 11-21-2001).]

Top Bottom