Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Poison Oak

If you are certain it's poison ivey, Zanfel is the best remedy I've found over the years. I think i've tried them all at some point. Unfortunately they know the product works well and charge about $35 - $40 an ounce.:(
If you have 80% of you body involved, you really need to see a physician.

I had a rip in a pair of pants this spring, filled them with poison ivy chainsaw chips, mostly down the right pant leg. That was a mess for almost a month.

Three weeks ago I got into some wild parsnip on my forearms. Finally healed up from that.

Might as well make it a trifecta, anybody know of any poison oak around? :D

Poison Ivy

Once you get it bad, you will get it very easy in the future...speaking from experience.

I just don't go into heavy cover in the summer anymore (zanfel does work)

For those that are willing to take the time.... Get a couple tubes of Betamethasone from your doctor. I personally think it works better than the BIG GUNS- Prednisone. Have a couple tubes on hand, apply to any affected areas immediately - hands down the best thing I've ever done and I sure have dealt with it a million times.

Hate it for you! Didn’t see where anyone has posted this yet but next time you think that you have been in contact with P Ivey or Oak, wash with baking soda (The oil from the leaves will repel regular soap). Then dry off and use regular soap.

haven't experienced it an hope not to
:drink1::drink1::drink1::drink1::drink1::drink1::drink1:
dont know what else ta tell ya
but it can't hurt
can it?!!!!!!!

when I was a 11 or 12 I had it so bad my neck was swollen. my parents were given a shot for if it got to bad that it caused me to stop breathing. it never got that bad though but I'm highly allergic, if I get it on my legs it spreads to my whole body.

I've went my whole and have never had. Now three years in a row I've gotten it terrible. Nothing works for me. No ideal y but I mean nothing. I'm already on my second case this summer. I'm basically loosing my f'ing mind!!!!!! Bleach hurts like a small fire on ur skin but kinda works. Mine usually lasts like a month!!!! On another story had a buddy do his deed in the woods and wiped with it. Poor fella!!!!! All in the nether region. ;(

I had a rip in a pair of pants this spring, filled them with poison ivy chainsaw chips, mostly down the right pant leg. That was a mess for almost a month.

Three weeks ago I got into some wild parsnip on my forearms. Finally healed up from that.

Might as well make it a trifecta, anybody know of any poison oak around? :D

I think that wild parsnip is the worst stuff on the planet to deal with. I weed eated it without a shirt on back in high school and I've never been in that much pain as those blisters.

About 10-20% of the population will have no reaction to poison ivy/oak. (end here if you don't want details).

The reaction is called delayed hypersensitivity, Type IV. This is the same kind of reaction you have when you get a TB test; it is mediated by T lymphocytes. You to have prior exposure; the first time you get it you will have no reaction. Some people just don't have the right type of T lymphocyte response to get the reaction.

Brian

I walk through it all the time in shorts and never have got poison ivy....big question is....will that ever change as I get older?

I usually get it 10-20 times a year, 3-5 of those being really bad, things I would recommend is washing everything you wore that day in hot soapy water, this includes boots/shoes etc. If you drove your car or after contacting it, I would recommend washing down your steering wheel, clean your bed sheets, clean basically anything you have come into contact with as best as you can. I know this sounds extreme but I have had plenty of experience with poison ivy. I take a shower a scrub down after I leave the timber every time now. The ivy oil will stay on things for a long time and if your skin comes into contact with something that has it on it you will contract it. This is what makes it seem like it is spreading. Hotttt showers are great but once you get out and sit for awhile you tend to get more itchy than before. Antihistamines are great to help make you less irritable and itchy. They also help you sleep through the night and not wake up itching. If you have any other questions just let me know. Thanks

Top Bottom