Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Politics

dbltree

Super Moderator
Rather not even think about politics during hunting season...but if we don't think about it now, we may end up regretting it later.

We all know there will be many of the same issues brought up and new ones we aren't expecting. I would urge everyone not only to vote in Nov. but take a minute to let others know who has been supportive of us...or not.

If you contacted your legislators on critical issues last year, did they answer you? What is their record on issues that concern us? Don't be afraid to ask...before you vote for them this fall.

In my district I give State Representative John Whitaker high marks for not only answering my concerns but being supportive as well.

State Senator David Miller also, in most cases voted favorably although perhaps a little less responsive.

If you can't make it to the polls (perhaps because your 20 feet up in a tree
wink.gif
) send for an absentee ballot form via the link below.

Senator David Miller

Rep. John Whitaker

Iowa General Assembly

Absentee forms

If anyone has thoughts on the candidates for governor as far as how they feel about hunting, fishing, conservation efforts, the IDNR, funding the DNR, etc. I'd sure like to hear more about them both.

Remember the governor appoints the DNR director and will have a say in controversial subjects such as large scale hog confinements and even the future of the CRP program. Support...or lack of it can make a huge difference to us as sportsmen.

Congressman Nussle

Jim Nussle

Chet Culver

Sec. of State

I know most here will be of the republican persuasion. Being an independant, I asked both gubenotorial(sp?)candidates how they stood on the number of NR tags and whether he'd increase it. Nussle was the only one who replied and his assistant stated that raising the number of NR tags would bring a lot of money to the state. Still waiting for Culvers view.

Nussle is the pick of the NRA but I think that is only because of a longer track record.
I was leaving his way but would like to see a real stance on sportsman issues before a final decision.

[ QUOTE ]
Nussle was the only one who replied and his assistant stated that raising the number of NR tags would bring a lot of money to the state. Still waiting for Culvers view.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm....don't like the sounds of that, but this may come down to the lessor of two evils
crazy.gif

Only takes 5 minutes to vote, I always have climbed down midday to cast mine then head right back out!

[ QUOTE ]

In my district I give State Representative John Whitaker high marks for not only answering my concerns but being supportive as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

At one point I heard Whitaker was one of the guys who was really pushing for increasing the NR tags. Where does he stand now?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At one point I heard Whitaker was one of the guys who was really pushing for increasing the NR tags. Where does he stand now?

[/ QUOTE ]

He told me he would not be in favor of increasing NR tags at this time (last winter)

As with all things...that could change
crazy.gif

Whatr would happen if the IBA invited candidates to respond to a list of questions to be posted here? Could save a lot of individual responses and avoid misunderstanding or interpretation when someone posts "he said this or that" You can visit their websites but without the same questions you end up comparing apples to oranges.

[ QUOTE ]
Whatr would happen if the IBA invited candidates to respond to a list of questions to be posted here? Could save a lot of individual responses and avoid misunderstanding or interpretation when someone posts "he said this or that" You can visit their websites but without the same questions you end up comparing apples to oranges.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect they have already been working on that but in either event...it's an excellent idea pharmer
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pharmer,
Hope you don't think I was embellishing what Nussle's associate said. She said it was straight from the horses mouth, so to speak. It's still on my answering machine. I don't post much on here, but thought people should know how he stands. I really don't like either one of the candidates all that much. It would be nice to know how they stand on other issues. I wonder if what the associate said would be different than how he would answer the questions from an organized group. Everyone should find out as much as they can about them.

Teacher- I didn't read anything at all into your report. Not that it means much to have anything in writing from a politician but several issues could be boiled down to good or bad for resident sportsmen. Thats all I'd like to see.

[ QUOTE ]
Not to Hijack. But found this site helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is an interesting link Rudd. The problem with any of this of course, is that any politican is likely to tell us "what we want to hear"...and then cater to those that had the money to put them in office
crazy.gif

I quite sure that none of them have a clue to the impacts of increasing NR quotas as far as resident hunter oppurtunties and the ability to control deer numbers.

In the end I'm afraid money will win out......
crazy.gif

Top Bottom