Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

pre-season scouting

Adventure

Question...tomorrow morn ng I have the opportunity to sit in a stand over a bean field to do a little scouting. My question is, is it worth it? Are they moving in the mornings? I have been seeing tons at night but haven't been out at sunrise.

I know most will say absolutely but with a wife who isn't overly excited about me being gone in the morning, I want to make sure I choose my battles.

So, the question is, are hey moving much in the morning?

According to my trail cams and watching them behind my house before work, I would say yes they are moving in the early morning. Don't see much activity on my trail cams after 7 though.

If it comes down to saving your approved times in the stand, save them for season. I would love to do lots of pre-season scouting, but I'm gone too much as it is once season rolls around. I'll save my time in the field when I can have a bow or gun in hand. As far as morning vs. evening scouting. I would say evening would be best, but if you can get out without causing an issue, might as well.

I wouldn't sit in a stand this time of yr, and especially not in the morning. I'd stay behind the binocs in the truck in the evenings. I don't think your going to gain anything but an inventory check, and that can be done with trail cams.

I saw 4 bucks cruising a bean field yesterday a.m. around 545, but I wouldn't want to be stuck in a stand. If anything drive around the block.

Thanks guys. I would be sitting in a tree house that is in the middle of a crop field with Binos. We don't hint with 200 yards of the tree house so I'm not concerned about spooking anything.

Sounds like jot moves in the am this time of year. I think I'll opt for a long run and a little shooting before the family wakes up.

Top Bottom