Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Predator call?

tedo2007

Can anyone suggest a quality predator call on a budget? id like to spend less than 250, (digital call)

If thats a decent price range that will work for me, but would be willing to spend a little more.

FoxPro works fine. But, I have had just as much fun and success using hand calls over the years. A howler and a cotton tail in distress is all you really need to get started having fun.

I have the primos turbo dogg. Had the wildfire. Like them both. Nicest thing about the turbo dogg is it has hunts made by randy Anderson you can just turn on. Or you can make your own hunts with the sounds on it and then just hit play. Makes it easy. I do like the cottontail sounds on the fox pro better. Other then that pretty much a wash. Turbo dogg can go way louder though.

I have the primos turbo dogg. Had the wildfire. Like them both. Nicest thing about the turbo dogg is it has hunts made by randy Anderson you can just turn on. Or you can make your own hunts with the sounds on it and then just hit play. Makes it easy. I do like the cottontail sounds on the fox pro better. Other then that pretty much a wash. Turbo dogg can go way louder though.

I know the Alpha Dogg is a step up from the Turbo Dogg and it can be had for around $200 on sale. I have heard people say that when under 20* the battery pack gets cold and it doesn't work well. My thought is when it is under 20*, I am not sure I am that dedicated to coyote hunting!

I am just getting started in predator hunting myself and it is more of a way to pass the time between deer and turkey hunting. I like predator calling in the sense that after 30-45 minutes you get to move and pick a new location if you don't have luck. After sitting for hours on end in my deer stands I like this idea.

Again, I have heard good things about both Primos models. It isn't a "Fox Pro", but if you are like me, where predator hunting is the "end all" as farm as hunting goes I think both calls are great and the pre-programmed hunts like mentioned is a nice added bonus!

Cabela's has the FoxPro Spitfire on sale for 149.99

I would suggest spending the extra money and going up another model. Spitfire doesn't seem to have the volume for yotes. Especially with a stiff breeze. Not saying it can't be done with the spitfire because I've seen it. The next model will just give you more volume when you need it.

I would also suggest being out there the next couple weeks. They are pairing up. Start off with vocalizations. Locate, male howl, female howl, then male challenge. Give it some time and a chance to work before switching to distress. This is the most successful time of year to call.

I have the Spitfire and wish it did have more volume. Does ok for now and it's my first caller. One day I may upgrade to another model.

One thing also, why not just get a good selection of hand calls to last you throughout this season and then save up some cash all year and buy a good e-caller.

I've also head that buying a wildfire and the 12 aux speaker. Really helps, this would work for the spitfire also but with the wildfire you get 200 sound capability and an led backlit remote with a few more features. I haven't decided to go that route or the diy route.

Top Bottom