Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

preserving velvet

antlerfreak

does anyone know what it takes to keep velvet on a rack so it doesnt rot and fall off? or is there anything a taxi can use to redo it artificially? Just wondering, I aquired a monster rack with a salvation tag from a buck that was hit by a car. his rack is in great shape all except a small area by the base where the velvet was tore. its been about a week now and the velvet still seems attached and in good shape but Im not sure if it will last or not. also how does one go about boiling a skull while trying to salvage the Velvet?

Thanks

I think they used to inject it with formaldehyde to preserve it. Anymore, most taxi's strip it off and apply artificial. The "flocking" they apply looks like the real thing and is much more durable than the real stuff.

I found a big buck with a baseball size tip on one of his main beams 2 years ago and asked my taxidermist what to do in order to do a European mount. He said it needs freeze dried, or to put it into your deep freeze for at least 2 years then it would be preserved. Hes in my deep freeze still so when I do get it done I'll post pics if it turns out good.

I don't know if there are any taxidermists up there that specialize in velvet mounts, but I know at least two down here I can put you in touch with. We have a 3-week early archery season late Augst/early September and the bucks are still full velvet so most taxidermists down here specialize in "velvet-on" mounts. I'd be happy to give you the names/numbers of a couple I like. If nothing else, you can call and get their input.

I don't know where you're located, but, Matuska Taxidermy in Spirit Lake freeze dries them. Like Shovel said, your best bet may be stripping it off and putting artificial on. Freeze drying just provides more "bug food".

sorry, Ill try to take some pics tonight and post them. Thanks for the info from everyone, sounds like I should just hand it over to a taxi and let them deal with it.
And Danny, dont get to exited, its only a 170ish with a 10" flyer and some stickers.

Will, I know you've killed some dandies, but you should get checked if 170 inches doesn't get you excited. I'm EXCITED to see it haha.

I took my 2008 velvet mulie to Joe Meder. Freezing it ASAP was the first step and my job prior to taking it to him. He explained the preservation process to me and if I understood it correctly, he first injected each vein with formaldehyde. He then injected it every quarter inch up and every quarter inch around, each main beam and each tine, making for thousands of injections. It sounded very time consuming.

I'm sure that there are other methods but there is nobody better than Joe in my opinion when it comes to this. I have buddies with velvet mulies preserved by Joe several years ago and they look fantastic.

Good luck and post some pics.:way:

Top Bottom