Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pretty Boy!

droptine37

Life Member
Has anyone else had some bad experiences with Pretty Boy besides me? I am using it out here in New Jersey and every bird that has taken a look at it hasn't had the courage to come in. The other morning I had 7 shooters take a look at it and hang-up looking nervous at about 70 yards. When I figured out what was going on I crawled out and took the pretty boy away and left just my two hen decoys out. Needless to say, within 5 minutes I had the 7 toms back and they couldn't have come in any faster. Anyone else thinking the Pretty Boy might be just a little too pretty?

Sean, you and I have talked about this but I wanted to get everyone elses opinons also. I had a pair of two year olds come into the pretty boy and girl during youth season. That was a promising start. Since then every mature tom that sees it hangs up at about 60 to 100 yards and then walks off. I even made a stake for mine where he will turn and lower his fan, and they still don't like it. I thought it might be a head color issue, but a couple of the toms came in behind him and the fan would have obstructed the view of the head. I know these birds are not heavily pressured and have not seen the decoy before. Boyer has had the same trouble with his. I think the thing might only work a small pecentage of the time in the areas I hunt. I am sure when it does work the results would be dramatic, but it has definately hurt me more than helped this year. I don't even mess with the stupid thing any more.

I have to admit I have the B-mobile and had more birds hang up on me this year than ever before, all mature toms and all hung in the 60-100 yard range also. I had 4 two year old birds come running across a field during first season and when they got to 20 yds when they could finally see the full strut decoy they practically flipped a lid and were spoked like hell (they couldn't see him originally just a hen decoy due to the terrain). Anyhow, the two birds I killed were over my old Jake decoy (ol trusty Buckwing) and I am not sure what is going on with the B-mobile, I will keep it around and use it in situations where nothing else seems to be working, but it definitely cost me a couple times.

Kratz

WOW! Put it so they can see it, sit back, and have some fun. We went as far as using two at once, with great luck. We killed everything from jakes to very mature birds all in different areas. Stick with it is all I can say!

I have a B-mobile and have personally shot two mature toms and have also seen three more mature toms run right thru the hen decoys to get to the B-mobile. All I can say is "AS ADVERTISED"
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
WOW! Put it so they can see it, sit back, and have some fun. We went as far as using two at once, with great luck. We killed everything from jakes to very mature birds all in different areas. Stick with it is all I can say!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree! I have had a lot of fun with the pretty boy this year! Give it time!
waytogo.gif

Four mature toms have had eye contact with a full strutt tom decoy this Spring...four are in zip lock bags.
grin.gif

I've had about 50/50 results, with only jakes coming in (archery) close. All but one bird were pokable with a shotgun.
My friend killed his first recurve bird with his. Had 3 longbeards he couldn't shake off the B Mobile.

My best luck was when I finally put a real fan on the B Mobile and put it in a place that was visible for long distances (100 yards). One morning I had a group of Jakes out of breath when they did the 80 yard dash to get to the deek.
smirk.gif

i think it all hinges on the mood of the bird. i also know as the season progresses, the pecking order is more established, so if a dominant tom sees it, he WILL come in, however, there are more subdominant birds than dominant, there can only be one heap of the S--- pile gobbler.
however, as the season progresses, the general mood of all turkeys seems to be less confrontational. ill use a jake decoy the first week of 4th season, and then hens only after that. this doesnt mean a pretty boy/B-mobile wont work, cuz i sure hear lots of stories of fired up gobblers on the last day of the season, but it seems the general population of the turkeys i hunt, dont want much to do with it after a certian point in the season.
i do know of three birds, including mine this year that were killed BECAUSE OF pretty boy, its a tool that when used correctly is a killer.....

just my .02 cents

I've been using B-mobile this year with very disapointing results.
I know they must work from all the harvests I've seen, but for some reason it hasnt' worked for me. I've had them coming in gobbling like crazy only to shut up and/or leave. I've only had 1 tom come in close and then he got nervous and scooted off and I missed the shot.
This weekend I'll be out again, but without it and just have a 3 - 4 hen set and see how that works.

Top Bottom