prevailing winds

teacher

I've always thought that the prevailing winds have been out of the NorthWest and West here in Iowa. I'm no expert on wind direction, but there's been some weird winds this year for me (and not of the chili kind). Seems to be more winds out of the east for me. Also a lot of changing directions too. I expect southerly winds in the early season, but not the easterly so much. I'm just wondering if anybody would like to share their knowledge of wind direction. Thanks for the help!

Your right.There has been alot of E.S.E wind's this year,I know this because we have a couple of stand's that we can only hunt on east wind's and I've been in them alot more then usual this year.I think there's also alot of south wind's this time of year for Iowa and that is not that unusual as far as I know.Intrested to see what everyone else think's about it.

I don't hold much stock in prevailing winds. Every system brings in a chance of changing winds. Check out the iso bars on the weather maps. You can predict your wind patterns by the direction these run. Also, the closer together they are the more wind we will have. L pressure systems rotate opposite of H pressure.

I try to have a stand set for every possible wind direction. In my best spots, I'll put a couple stands to take advantage of multiple wind directions.

I am no meteorologist so prior to my hunts, I check www.weather.com and www.wunderground.com for wind direction, expected forcast/precip, and temp. Here in the midwest, things can change at the drop of a hat and I do what I can to get ahead of it. Sometimes, I get caught with a bad forcast/prediction and it fouls the hunt for the AM/PM?????What can you do?

Interesting question teacher I went back in my log to check it out in the
N E iowa area I hunted from 1985-2003
found out some interesting things always the 2nd & 3rd week of Oct deer sightings dropped way off bucks were chasing always by nov 1st best dates for seeing bucks was Nov. 5-12with more sightings on Nov 9&10 than the rest of the week had a lot of SE - SSE winds also but more sightings after wind went from SE to N or NW didn't seem to matter how strong best day in that time frame was 16 bucks from 6:45 AM to 9:15Am on Nov 9th 1998 with a moderate NW wind and light snow. Don't how long the deer would have kept comming I shot a 154 5/8 10 point cruising thru looking for does. I know that its not scientific but it is what I put in my log. just my two cents worth .
cool.gif

I religiously use www.accuweather.com

You can type in the zipcode or name of town closest to your area. You can get HOURLY wind direction forecasts.... I have found it to be quite accurate especially if I check it on the morning going out hunting... I print out the sheet and take it in my truck.... TIP: Sign up for a 30 day free trial to their premium service (normal cost $4.95 per month).... gives more detailed weather and NO annoying ads or pop-up screens....
grin.gif

Hi guys, I have a slightly different take on the winds. I'm a pilot, so I no longer believe forcasts! Every local airport has what they call AWOS. Automatic weather reporting system that pilots can dial into and here wind direction and speeds from the air. When I leave in the mornings I call our local airport and see what's really going on. All of these weather stations can be called by telephone, and you can listen to the weather being reported. It is good to know if a front is coming throught the area and when they expect it to arrive. Local weathermen are great at handing out this information. That's a sure sign the wind is going to change. Usually days with very strong southwesterly winds mean a front, and thus a wind change, are approaching. We have had a lot of easterly winds for the last few weeks. This is mainly because we have had more cold fronts cruising through the area than we normally do this time of year. If anyone wants to know the phone # of their local airport, pm me and I can look it up in my flying stuff for you. I'm not sure if there is a website that lists them or not.

The most detailed weather reports you are going to find are for pilots. Just search for aviation weather, and you'll find a lot of good sites.

any of you guys want to trade ? Ive been dealing with almost all west or northwest winds so far this year. I havnt been near a couple of my best stands b/c the wind hasnt given me a chance. Tommorrow looks like another west wind for my corner of the state, anyone who wants to swap me for an east wind just let me know, Ill send it right over
grin.gif
grin.gif

Back