Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Price of Broadheads

bpul2113

I really don't understand how this always creeps up. First, let me say I am just an average working guy, I do ok, but, I am no multi-millionaire. While responding to a question asking for comments on this site and others I seem to always get scolded or at least get harrassed about paying alot for certain broad heads (SilverFlames). Yes, they are expensive, but they are a drop in the bucket compared to what us, as hunters, pay in the scheme of things. I mean, add up what you pay to hunt these deer and you will see what I mean.

Land purchases, leases, tractors, implements, seed, fertilizer, diesel and or gas, stands, calls, arrows, saftey equipment, specialized clothing, binoculars, range-finders, decoys, blinds, trips, etc,etc,etc,etc...you get the point. A hundred bucks just doesn't seem that horrible, especially when it is the one thing that must not fail. Skimping on the piece of equipment that makes all of the above mentioned stuff worth buying just doesn't add up. Anyway my 2 cents worth...pun intended.

You dont always get what you pay for. There has been A LOT of deer shot with very cheap Walmart broadheads. Just because you pay an astronomical amount of money for a broadhead, doesn't mean its going to "kill" the deer any faster than a ten dollar broadhead. A well placed shot is all that matters imo.....

But yes, i understand what your saying.....

Concur

Price doesn't always equal quality, your absolutely correct! In this case...Silverflame broadheads...I think the quality isn't in question by anyone or at least by anyone who has ever tried them.

To each their own. I think $15 is too much to pay for a single head, no way I'm paying $30. Maybe they're the best thing ever. Maybe I'm a fool. Whatever you want to call me I'm fine with, and I won't judge you for buying whatever you want.

To each their own. Some people are willing to pay a lot more for incremental increases in quality performance.

My $25 broadheads kill deer just as good as $100 Silverflames. My $40 Igloo cooler keeps ice just fine for a week in deer camp, don't need a $400 Yeti. My $300 Nikon binoculars are good enough for spotting deer, don't need $3,000 Sworovskis. My $50 Cabela's Legacy Fleece keeps me warm on stand, don't need $500 Sitka Gear.

My point being enjoy whatever super premium gear you choose to buy but the majority of people aren't going to see the value.

I expect good quality broadheads to last 10 years or more. So, what do they cost over the life of them, 15 cents a month?

PS... I am still using the same ones that I bought in 1994. Fad broadheads? I personally will stay away from them. Time tested and proven is what I prefer, especially when that testing includes personal experience.

We all value different things in hunting. I went cheap on a lot of things over the years to where I would have been better off paying for high quality. I didn't have money back then but I'm glad there were more affordable options. I have learned there are some items a guy can skimp on and others you cannot. Whatever makes a guy more confident in I'm all for it!

It's all trial and error for me. I have shot wasp jackhammer, muzzy mx3 and rage 2 blade original.. I have also shot my friends rage 3 blade chisle tip and had the 3 blade jam upon impact. I will stick to my rage 2 blade. Everyone has there own likes.

I could care less what the price of the broadheads are, I pick what I like the best and I wouldn't care if they were $25 per head. I am not out there shooting 50 broadheads a year, I'm shooting a few, maybe a few more if I shoot some does. You're right, it's a drop in the bucket compared to other expenses. Unless you're shooting 20, 30, 50 broadheads a year, I'd simply shoot what you like best - which very well could be the cheapest on the market or pretty pricey.
Heck, same thing with my slugs... I think it's $2.5-3 every time I pull the trigger BUT after it's sighted in now, maybe I do 10 verification shots before season and I'm super lucky if I shoot one bullet per year (No, I do not do deer drives and maybe I'd think different if I was unloading on everything that moved).

I agree, most people are not shooting very many broadheads a year, so.....shoot what works for you. I have no issues with buying expensive ones if they work for me. That being said, there are decent broadheads in just about everyones price range. Find what you can afford and make them work. Indians killed deer with stone arrow heads!

I totally agree with everyone here about broadheads being minimal compared to all the money spent in the big picture. Shoot whatever your happy with and don't mind it if everyone else don't agree with you.

I just screw on rages and kill stuff. If they were 100 a pack, I'd still probably buy them due to their flawless performance :D

You have to believe in what you are shooting- that's 99% of the game. There are some great options and some bad options out there, but I don't think there is a "best" option as there are many top performers.

I stepped up for the german kinetics or silver flames. Reason being great fixed head that flies like a field tip at 50 yards and probably further. Most all my shots are close but want to be able to reach out if necessary and have TRUE flight.

I agree with what others stated. If your only shooting a few arrows a season and have big $ invested/spent $30 a head is nothing especially when it can be reused.

Top Bottom