Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

price of land

iowascott78

I live in southwest <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Iowa</st1:place></st1:State> and noticed a lot of hunting land seems to be going for around $3500.00 an acre. I am curious what land is going for in other parts of the state. At that rate it is going to be awhile before I buy my paradise. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

In my part of the state we are seeing land going for $7000-9000 an acres which is crazzy!! It just keeps going up because its a great investment for those that want to keep their money out of the market. Its one of those things that will keep going up in price because there is never going to be more of it--only less and less. Simple supply and demand!! Buy sooner than later if you can afford it.

land prices

It all depends on the location, I think there are still rec farms for sale in SC Iowa for around $1700 an acre, possibly a bit cheaper, most are around $2000 if they do not have much in terms of tillable ground.

Interest rates are still very low.

An update since March:

Iowa farmland values shot up an average of 12.9 percent during the past six months and an average of 32.6 percent for the year ended Sept. 1, according to a new survey by the Iowa Farm & Land Chapter No. 2 Realtors Land Institute.

The institute, which has been conducting twice-yearly surveys since 1978, placed the average value of medium quality crop land in Iowa at $6,477 an acre, up from $5,711 an acre in March.

Northeast Iowa had the largest average increase, 17 percent, during the six months, while Southeast Iowa had the lowest, 8.5 percent, the new survey showed.

The highest average value for high quality crop land was in Northwest Iowa, at $9,685, an increase of 14.9 percent since March.

The lowest average value for top quality crop land was in Southwest Iowa, at $7,555 an acre, an increase of 9.3 percent since March.

The five categories of land in the survey followed by estimated average statewide values per acre on Sept. 1, and the change since March 1 are:

High quality crop land: $8,330, up 13.3 percent.
Medium quality crop land: $6,477, up 13.4 percent.
Low quality crop land: $4,588, up 11.5 percent.
Non-tillable pasture: $2,309, up 4.9 percent.
Timber land: $2,019, up 2.7 percent.

Here is a piece down the road from me a few miles...........been for sale for a looong time due to price beinng high. How is land over 2 grand an acre affordable without crop?
http://www.remaxmeadowlake.com/list...umber=391384&pagenumber=1&new_listings=&type=

well..... in short, there are a lot of people with a lot of money that want recreational land. Be it hunting, hiking, bike riding, timber values, etc. People realize now more than ever that land is limited resource and are willing to buy. Last week at auction 109 acres went for 2200 acre to a guy from Jersey. Don't know if he'll ever even use it, but it's an investment with guaranteed value and ROI. BTW, 2200 an acre around here is pretty reasonable. Just another example of doing your homework. Hardly any local people even showed up for it and he bid over the phone.

That wouldn't last an hour on the market here!

It's lasted 3 yrs here. I guess it doesn't matter if you can make $ off it if you have enough to pay cash. In this part of the world, hunting land is readily available and $550 an acre is way too much for bush pasture.

If I were rich I'd buy it just because.

88 acres just sold a few months ago in my area (SW Iowa). Level B road access only (mud hole at that) 35 acres of nice timber. A couple small ponds for cattle. 2450 an acre

well..... in short, there are a lot of people with a lot of money that want recreational land. Be it hunting, hiking, bike riding, timber values, etc. People realize now more than ever that land is limited resource and are willing to buy. Last week at auction 109 acres went for 2200 acre to a guy from Jersey. Don't know if he'll ever even use it, but it's an investment with guaranteed value and ROI. BTW, 2200 an acre around here is pretty reasonable. Just another example of doing your homework. Hardly any local people even showed up for it and he bid over the phone.

I agreed with everything you said dedgeez except there are a lot of people with a lot of money buying land right now.

I for one do not have a lot of money but all the money I do make goes towards my passion. Anyone can afford land in my opinion it just takes a lot of hard work and some people may have to go without a few things.

I just wish I would of bought more when I had the chance.

I agreed with everything you said dedgeez except there are a lot of people with a lot of money buying land right now.

I for one do not have a lot of money but all the money I do make goes towards my passion. Anyone can afford land in my opinion it just takes a lot of hard work and some people may have to go without a few things.

I just wish I would of bought more when I had the chance.

No, I agree with you completely. I know not everyone who buys land is rich, I was just saying that IMO now more than ever it is a very competitive market and the guys that are wealthy can afford to drive up the price more than an average guy like you or I. One of the guys at that auction is a friend and had his heart set on purchasing that piece, but had a personal limit of 1900.00 an acre. Well as we know he lost out to someone who has a bit more at his disposal. I am looking all the time and saving my pennies for the "right" piece. I too spend most of my disposable income on my this passion :D A guy like me has to be able to somewhat cashflow my ground though, whether it be through CRP, or crops.

A guy like me has to be able to somewhat cashflow my ground though, whether it be through CRP, or crops.

I know what you mean.

That is what is hurting me.

All my timber does not cashflow.

I am thankful that I have a great wife and their are 24 hours in
the day to do two jobs.

All my timber does not cashflow.
But hopefully you can get/have it into Forest Reserve to take the property tax pressure off. That doesn't help making the mortgage payment though.

I'm interested to see how the farm programs are going to be trimmed with the current federal budget issues. Seems prime for the chopping block. CRP is most likely DOA.

Top Bottom