Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Propsed New Trapping Bill

blake

Life Member
This bill was introduced through the representative in Madison County.
Here is info on her:
http://beta.legis.state.ia.us/Legislators/legislator.aspx?GA=83&PID=77
http://www3.legis.state.ia.us/ga/legislators.do?ga=83

Address:
1524 Highway 169
Winterset, Iowa 50273
Home: (515) 462.5081
jodi.tymeson@legis.state.ia.us

BY TYMESON

A BILL FOR

1 An Act prohibiting setting or maintaining traps within a public
2 road right=of=way without prior permission of the adjacent
3 landowner or tenant and providing a penalty.
4 BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF IOWA:

PAG LIN

1 1 Section 1. Section 481A.92, subsection 3, Code 2009, is
1 2 amended by striking the subsection and inserting in lieu
1 3 thereof the following:
1 4 3. A person shall not set or maintain any type of snare
1 5 or trap within any public road right=of=way unless the owner
1 6 or tenant of the land adjacent to the public right=of=way has
1 7 given permission.
1 8 EXPLANATION
1 9 This bill prohibits the use of any type of snare or trap
1 10 within any public road right=of=way unless the owner or tenant
1 11 of the land adjacent to the public road right=of=way has
1 12 given permission. Currently, a person must obtain the prior
1 13 permission of the occupant of a residence whose private drive
1 14 entry is within 200 yards of where a conibear=type trap or
1 15 snare will be set.
1 16 "Public road right=of=way" means an area of land, the right
1 17 to possession of which is secured or reserved by the state
1 18 or a governmental subdivision for roadway purposes. The
1 19 right=of=way for all secondary roads is 66 feet in width,
1 20 unless otherwise specified by the county board of supervisors
1 21 of the respective counties.
1 22 A violation of the new provision is punishable by a scheduled
1 23 fine of $25.
LSB 6001HH (3) 83
av/nh

Well, the landowner pays taxes to the center of the road yet the ditch is considered public "right of way" (you sometimes see signs with ROW vertically on a sign designating this). So you are making the landowner pay taxes on public/state property?

Be that as it may, when I saw some guys setting traps in the ditch this fall, I walked down to them and told them to forget the 200 yard no trapping zone around farm buildings, trap every trail in the ditch along the road going past my buildings.

the 200 yard no trapping zone, is only WITHOUT permission. if you give the ok, they can set a trap under your mailbox.

some des moines transplant, probably moved to the country, and let "fluffy" run wild and got caught in a trap, and was mortified. instead of keeping their pets confined to home, they are going to try to change the laws on the books (and have been on the books for YEARS) to suit themselves..............never ends

the 200 yard no trapping zone, is only WITHOUT permission. if you give the ok, they can set a trap under your mailbox.
Yes, and it only applies to conibear type traps and snares. Footholds are not restricted and you do not need the permission. 1,000 yards, 200 yards, 1 yard, you can set the foothold without permission.

Well, the landowner pays taxes to the center of the road yet the ditch is considered public "right of way" (you sometimes see signs with ROW vertically on a sign designating this). So you are making the landowner pay taxes on public/state property?
I'm not sure where we are going with this one. If it is that us landowners are getting screwed having to pay taxes on state owned land, I will agree. If it is saying the landowner owns the property and should have the right to say what happens on his property, well on the roadways I look at it as an easement. We let people set traps. We let people hunt there. We let people walk there. We let people drive their cars there. Otherwise, every person in the state would be a trespasser almost every single day of their life.

This bill was introduced through the representative in Madison County.
Here is info on her:
http://beta.legis.state.ia.us/Legisl...x?GA=83&PID=77
http://www3.legis.state.ia.us/ga/legislators.do?ga=83
This proposal infuriates me and it should every one of us. It screams animal rights, anti sportsman, and attacks a small group which may be considered an easy target. While they may be a small group, they are very well organized but still need all of us to help. I'll be writing some letters, you can count on that. I also think I'll be joining the Iowa Trappers Association, just to help their cause.

This proposal infuriates me and it should every one of us. It screams animal rights, anti sportsman, and attacks a small group which may be considered an easy target. While they may be a small group, they are very well organized but still need all of us to help. I'll be writing some letters, you can count on that. I also think I'll be joining the Iowa Trappers Association, just to help their cause.

I will make it easy for all of you that feel this way: www.Iowatrappers.com

italogo.gif

Iowa Trappers Association

I'm not sure where we are going with this one. If it is that us landowners are getting screwed having to pay taxes on state owned land, I will agree.
That is exactly what I'm saying. I also went on to say I didn't have a problem with people trapping the ditches. The only reason I brought the tax issue up is that some people might not be aware of this policy and it is always best to try to bring EVERY detail one knows about to light.

Top Bottom