Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Proud Papa

Rjack

Here is the story of my 9 year old son's first deer hunt. He has been along on several bow and late muzzle loader hunts, but this was his first time actually doing the deer hunting.

We arrived on stand just prior to 7am on Satuday morning. A small busted 6 point came by around 7:30. I told Drew we might see something bigger and he decided to let it pass. After it was nearly by, he changed his mind and want to take it, but a good shot never presented itself.

About 8:20 I noticed a deer about 80 yards away. Once I saw it was a good buck, I told him to get ready. He took his time bringing the gun up only when the buck was looking elsewhere - which took a couple minutes. About then, a doe took off and the buck followed. Drew placed the gun in the fork of the tree ahead of where the buck was going. I grunted a couple time and the buck stopped where I could see him, but Drew could not. The buck stepped forward and Drew touched off the Knight DISC rifle (doesn't kick near as much as the 20 guage and is more accurate). The buck kicked and bolted. The 180 grain Hornady driven by 70 grains of Pyrodex did the job as the buck ran only 50 yards. The shot was 70 yards and it was perfect lung shot. We were both so pumped!

After finding, dressing, and dragging the deer back to the stand, we got back up in the tree. After a little lunch, 2 does came charing past. Along comes the little busted 6 and then I hear grunting. This 2nd buck was too good to pass up. I shot him 40 yards from where Drew's buck was standing and he fell within sight. All done by noon on the first day.

We both still can't get the smiles off of our faces. Sorry for the long post, but as you can tell I am very proud!

The pictures are on their way.

-Rjack

Congratulations, I envy you greatly. I sat out there by myself this weekend.

"Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are the Sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them" Psalm 127:4-5

Sounds like it was a good morning for you two!!
I might have missed it but how many points did your kids deer have?

His buck was a 9 point. I told him if since he shot a 9 point when we was 9 years old, we know what next year should bring. I guess the photos were zipped when I sent to the administrator and couldn't be used. They should be out here soon.

All,

Here is the pic of Rjack and his son. We gotta tell you it is one of our favorites, you can just see it on these two hunters faces they had a great hunt.....dad and son.

Congrats!

ProudPappa.jpg

Great bucks, congratulations!

Looks like your sons' buck is rutting hard! Neck on that thing looks big. Good Job.

Congrats RJack and Drew ! I agree . . . it doesn't get much better than that. It gets me more pumped up than I already was because my 11-year old son, Taylor, and I will be hunting the late muzzleloader season. We'll be sharing one gun, and I plan on giving him first shot. The place we will be going to has loads of deer, so he should have a real good chance of getting one. Regardless, it is a blast to hunt with your kid(s). Keep up the great work !

Camoman, sounds like a great plan and fun trip. I have one suggestion, take a video camera, even if you have to borrow one, and tape the hunt. Include getting ready, sighting in, waiting for the deer, of course the shot if your son gets one.

I did the same when my son and daughter got their first deer and when they got their first bucks. That footage is priceless. If the house ever burns down I'm grabbing those tapes before I grab the my trophies off the wall.

Good Hunting!
Old Buck

Congrats...
I remember when my dad took me along for the first time I was 12. I got a small buck and I still remeber it today like it just happened. Since then dad and I have lots of hunts together. He drew a late muzzloader tag for this year. I cant wait till after christmas.

What a GREAT picture. Anytime you can share a moment like this with son or daughter it is one of life's best experiences. My 6 year old daughter is alrady tracking deer by their prints in the snow behind the house ( she drags me outside ) hoping to get a look. She knows what a " shooter " is compared to " youngin " and I have a blast watching hunting shows with her. Can't wait till she's alittle older and get her out for real. Great job Rjack.

Top Bottom