Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pulling Cards

TheKingsDeer.com

Whitetail-Images.com
I have been pulling cards since April, usually keep a eye on my Toms I am hunting and now I am on to some bucks for this fall. Following the growth they take on is amazing! Here is an up and comer, hill buck in western Iowa.

Yes sir, some bucks in the same area aren't near as far along as this boy. It can vary per animal is my experience.

Curious what others are seeing?

Not sure what you label up and comer, but that appears to be a mature deer.

I appreciate your post and he is a nice buck but he would be a stud in another season especially if he could add some width. He will be very hard to pass...

Sorry for delayed response, was in the city with the boss.

Here is his buddy, older buck, more width but not the character. I still find it amazing even after 32 ruts.

Last edited:
Nice deer! How old do you think he is- body looks mature already. Sweet bases and love the tall brows

Not sure how old he is but I did pull more cards from 3 other cameras and so far he is the best buck of weekend.

Here is the buck I am hoping for this season, he is a solid 4 1/2 year old and this will be my third season to hunt him. Here is a pic from late season last year. Odds are he shows up, I hope so anyway.

Up and Comer is turning into almost "impossible to pass" so I have some decision making to do on this boy. His friend has gotten a lot bigger too! July 5th photo below...

Said it earlier and I'll say it again.... mature. Dang nice,!!!

Mature as in would I plunk him, not sure yet, he isn't the oldest buck on the farm or the biggest but he is coming along nicely. Just as the last time I posted here is his friend who has a year or two on Daggers. PS: I have the luxury of over 20 photos of him. That's why I say what I said, we will look at him in another 30 days then we can field score him for shits and giggles.

Last edited:
Last post tonight, here is a buck I haven't seen yet. I know it sucks his brow is gone but he has some size too, all three do. This area for me is new and exciting. Closer to home is tougher with smaller bucks but the herd I have followed for 30 years so I know the genetics well. As a photographer I spend hours studying them. This new spot has some tremendous genetics as well so it should be fun. Peace

good group of deer- im not convinced the "passable" buck with add anymore width with a year or two older- at this stage it may be splitting hairs as he is mature. but having said that- if you have other options and can take the chance to wait- I know what i would do:) but I also get pass happy on deer and hope to find sheds later in the year

good group of deer- im not convinced the "passable" buck with add anymore width with a year or two older- at this stage it may be splitting hairs as he is mature. but having said that- if you have other options and can take the chance to wait- I know what i would do:) but I also get pass happy on deer and hope to find sheds later in the year

Sound wisdom - thanks man!

I waited a good 30 days, wind from the north and even some drizzle to pull my SD cards in Clarke County and was a bit disappointed. My one previous post that shows a night shot is the buck I was hoping to see.

This boy showed up several times and he is way too young and my hill bucks closer to home would be a better choice.

I hate to go into his core but might have too and see if he is still around. Set up one or two cameras. I actually have two stands in this area and I have not stood in either in 3 years. Never had too, the fringe is very productive but my goal is to be more aggressive for this big boy.

Whoa!
12/27/2015 - based on ONE PIC... looks mature, like MATURE but it's one pic.
On July 5 photo - are you saying same buck or different? On assessing "do I shoot", of course, for me, I want to know age BUT.... if I don't know or on fence, 1 thing is FOR SURE.... I wait til velvet comes off to really "assess" a deer. I've seen "GIANTS" turn into "eahhhhh, kinda mediocre" type bucks after velvet comes off. Velvet is super deceiving in a lot of cases. One example, I thought I had a deer that would easy be 190's & I had no idea how old he was, totally new deer. Velvet comes off and I swear there's no way he would even hit 170. Probably 165. That was a huge difference in what I expected.
Anyways, you got some slammers. that missing brow type stuff always stumps me why that happens. I see bucks I think cracked off tines or broke stuff but realize it happened while they were growing. Great bucks!!

Whoa!
12/27/2015 - based on ONE PIC... looks mature, like MATURE but it's one pic.
On July 5 photo - are you saying same buck or different? On assessing "do I shoot", of course, for me, I want to know age BUT.... if I don't know or on fence, 1 thing is FOR SURE.... I wait til velvet comes off to really "assess" a deer. I've seen "GIANTS" turn into "eahhhhh, kinda mediocre" type bucks after velvet comes off. Velvet is super deceiving in a lot of cases. One example, I thought I had a deer that would easy be 190's & I had no idea how old he was, totally new deer. Velvet comes off and I swear there's no way he would even hit 170. Probably 165. That was a huge difference in what I expected.
Anyways, you got some slammers. that missing brow type stuff always stumps me why that happens. I see bucks I think cracked off tines or broke stuff but realize it happened while they were growing. Great bucks!!

Thanks and "yes" Target Buck is that late season pic of the Clarke buck, gotta find him first though and you are right asses him with velvet off. For me "frame" makes a shooter, 24 plus inches of main beam gives you a good buck. If he is a 5 x 5 or bigger with more junk the better. The bigger hill buck has some bases and continues to stretch, he is getting to be harder and harder to "pass" and a open/clear shot I am sure I would be drawled back. I have two more big terrace bucks I am chasing down too, summer range is tough to pin down up here on the high rolling prairie. If we get rain mid week I will set cameras up where I think they run and post if I catch them. Appreciate your comments!

Here is one of my boys on 8/5/16 and he is coming along. For those of you that have been following my thread, I have several good bucks on this piece. Won't be back until season now, rain is covering my trail tonight! Perfect!

Last edited:
Top Bottom