Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pump or auto

I know a few years ago during an ice storm we shotgunned and the guys were putting more lube on thinking it would help :thrwrck: All they did was gum up and jam...I usually spray them with rem oil and wipe them off daily when its this cold and never have a problem with any of my Remington pumps, or SBE2

Last edited:
If you use a quality lubricant it won't be a problem.

If you use any lubricant, it will be a problem... eventually

I run all my autos.. gas and inertia... DRY during late season waterfowl and shotgun season.

To give you an idea, I will be duck hunting tomorrow, my gun has already been cleaned from last time(3° wind chill of -10°) and wiped with a silocone cloth-no lubricant..and it will run as fast as I need it to and through any shell I feed it no matter the temp.

I know a few years ago during an ice storm we shotgunned and the guys were putting more lube on thinking it would help :thrwrck: All they did was gum up and jam...I usually spray them with rem oil and wipe them off daily when its this cold and never have a problem with any of my Remington pumps, or SBE2

Couldn't agree more. Back in the day when I lived in Iowa and pheasant hunted, I had absolutely zero troubles with my Rem 1100 in the winter time, including a few -10 to -15 days. I've seen too many lubricants gum right up when its cold.

Never had a problem with automatics during cold. Always oil and clean guns prior to the season. Another thing we do is try not to put our guns inside the truck in between deer drives especially during below freezing temps. That way the guns dont condensate inside the case and then freeze in the cold

I have never had an issue with an auto either. The only ones i have used is 1100 and 1187 though.

Top Bottom