Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Puttin' the Fake On Big Iowa Bucks

THA4

A Few Steps Ahead Of You
Puttin’ the Fake on Big Iowa Bucks
By Thomas Allen

It’s been said before, and I’ll say it again, with the advancements in today’s technology, it can become increasingly difficult to keep up. Deer hunting used to work just fine wearing generic camouflage, no scent restrictor sprays or garments, and hunters would simply set a stand on a heavily used trail. And it worked! There are some very valid ideas there, and they still hold true today.
Now hunters have made the sport more interactive by adding attractant scents, cover scents, trail monitoring cameras, calls of all sorts, not to mention deer decoys. All these items hold a few things in common, they don’t guarantee success, but there is a time and place for each, and when used properly they can dramatically increase your odds for bagging that buck of a life time!
Decoying deer is not a new thing, but it is growing in popularity as more hunters are learning the secrets to properly employing one of the deadliest tools in deer hunting today. During our conversation, I hope to unravel some of those secrets and help you in puttin’ the fake on a big ‘ol Iowa whitetail this fall.
As many of you know, I am a deer hunting fanatic. I spend an average of 50 plus days a fall in the tree stand, either filming for friends or family, or actually holding the bow in anticipation of whacking my personal best. I have way too many calls, way too many scents, and my pack is way over loaded with the excessive gear I take to the autumn timber. However, I do use what I have and I have learned that being over prepared is better than under prepared.
I have been using a deer decoy for 7 years now and have seen the results and experienced the excitement one can bring. A decoy can show you things that you otherwise would never encounter. The behavioral traits whitetails posses can be used to your advantage if you can assure you will have all the angles covered.

Safety
This should be your number one concern! When transporting the decoy to and from your stand, make sure to have some type of blaze orange marker on the decoy. Do not use a decoy during gun season and be aware of who else may be hunting on yours or neighboring properties. While it is extremely rare to encounter an accident like this, covering your basis and being extra cautious is worth the time and effort it takes to prevent unfortunate circumstances.
I also do not recommend leaving the decoy out in the woods as the deer may find it and become accustomed to seeing it and taking away from the realism of your future setups. I always haul the decoy to and from the stand each time and feel this is the best option!

Scent Control
It is absolutely imperative that you practice strict scent control when handling and setting up the decoy, a wily old buck will have you figured out way before a shot is offered if human scent was not minimized.
It is good practice to store your decoy during the off season in a place that does not contain strong odors, in fact, an outdoor location is best if at all possible. Rubber gloves are extra insurance during handling, keeping your oils and whatever other scent you may have come in contact with. Keep gloves on from the time you take him out of the truck till the time you climb up into your stand.
Make sure to spray the entire body of the decoy down with some type of scent elimination spray, and be generous, you can’t use too much! Once you reach your stand, spray him down again. Keeping your decoy as scent free as possible is essential to the success of your hunt.

The Set Up
This portion of our talk has been debated and can still be debated, but I have extensive video footage and journal entries that show there is only one proper way to stage a decoy. Bucks will almost always approach their “foe” showing their broad side to the face of the decoy. It is imperative that you set the decoy up facing your stand, upwind as the approaching challenger will always end up, downwind at the head of the decoy displaying his size and dominance. Put the plastic intruder approximately 18-25 yards from your stand, as this will insure an easy shot if one is presented.
Another bonus to this set up is his attention will be diverted towards the decoy, which is away from you and your location, allowing you to draw your bow and settle in to make a clean shot. There are occasions where the dominant buck may appear and instantly charge and smack the decoy, sending body parts flying through the air. In this situation, shots are unlikely, but the experience in itself is worth having to get down and put the decoy back together. Ultimately this thing was bought to have some rutted up buck destroy it!
After setting up the decoy, put a liberal dose of dominant buck urine on the ground beneath the decoy, and around the set up, do not put it on the decoy! Also adding some estrous scent around the area will add some realism. If the decoy doesn’t smell like a buck, then the deer will figure out the “Sting” and bust the whole set up. In short, it should stink like rutting buck!
I almost always use a decoy on a field edge of some sort opening where an approaching deer has plenty of time to see the decoy. If a buck is suddenly surprised by a decoy he will more likely spook and bust the set up. Cut crop fields, matted grass, or any type of terrain that doesn’t have abundant cover will allow for a more productive decoy set up. How and where you have this guy stationed will make or break the set up.

When
This is an area that holds lots of opinions as well. I have a specific time of year that I tote my decoy along, and it has worked very well for me. Other options exist and they are not wrong, this is just based on my personal experience. As the days get shorter and cooler, and the younger bucks tend to get to big for their britches, the larger bucks grow more in tolerant of their presence and are more likely to show aggression towards the sub-dominant bucks.
In general the does will come into their heat cycle at some point during the second week of November, however, a few does will come into estrous early, thus telling the resident bucks that it’s that magical time of year again. Due to the fact that some come into hear early, it is a good practice to take the decoy out a week to ten days prior to the peak chase or breeding phases.
For me, the last weekend of October is the first time I employ a decoy, and it will accompany me till the end of November as the rut is winding down. During this time frame, bucks are seeking, chasing, and breeding does, thus creating competition amongst them and providing a perfect opportunity to set up a decoy.

Buck or Doe
This again is subject to other opinions, but I have many documented events that point to the only option I choose to go with. Big mature does are a pain. No deer will bust a hunter’s location more often than a fat mama doe. They are extremely perceptive and very cautious, making them one of the most difficult deer in the woods to fool.
I always set up my decoy as a sub-dominant buck with a busted up rack to give the impression, his attitude has gotten him in trouble before and is in need of another whoopin’. I use one antler that is cut down to a smaller size to imitate a year and a half to two and a half year old buck. One that needs a lesson!
During this time of year, does are really only social with each other, and tend to ignore bucks. So if a decoy is setup as a doe, they will study it and most likely figure it out, therefore blowing the set up. So I rarely use a doe decoy. A buck decoy is used to take advantage of a buck’s aggression that comes out at the site of any smaller deer. During the entire rut, a dominant buck is willing to fight for breeding rights on his turf, so to me a busted up buck decoy seems to be the most efficient choice. Again, I think a doe decoy may work, but in my experiences it gets busted more often than it actually works making the decision an easy one!

Calling and decoys
Calls can be used all season long, and when used properly can become the difference between a filled tag and a white flag! (Be sure to read this month’s Calling in the Whitetail Woods, by Matt Watters) There is a plethora of calls available today, but by using a regular grunt call, buck growler or roar, snort-wheeze, bleat can, and rattling mixed with a decoy can be one of the deadliest combos in the fall woods.
In fact, I don’t use a decoy without calls. Performing an intense rattling sequence with grunting and bleating, in front of your decoy will add realism to your set up that otherwise you would not have. If a buck responds to your rattling or calling, having a visual aid to confirm his suspicions will force him to lock into your location and give you a show that you will never forget.

Conclusion
Like always, nothing is guaranteed. In fact, I would count on there being some frustrating encounters, but when you have that first big buck-decoy interaction, you will be hooked and will understand why hunters choose to employ one during their outings.
This will also take some practice, but after time a system of your own will have been developed and productive trips to the fall woods will become more prevalent! I will make you no promises except this, if you are disciplined and methodical about your approach, success is inevitable. The Rut in Iowa is one of the most incredible things fall has to offer, by using a decoy during that time of year will bring excitement that few individuals actually get to experience!

I recommend it and wish you the best this fall!

Get out there and Experience Iowa!

Live it Up!

(Courtesy of The Iowa Sportsman, November 2007 The Iowa Sportsman )

Top Bottom