Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Qdm, does and good eats!

Old Buck

Life Member
I always try to be optomistic when I go bowhunting but in reality it is a rare day that I take a shot at a buck. On the other hand when things are right for me to shoot does I'm really fired up because I know my chances of getting a shot are good. I'm in an area with an over abundance of does and harvesting them only helps bring the herd in balance with the environment and improves the sex ratio.

This photo is my December 27 evening harvest. All were taken with a bow in an hour and a half period. I waited for good shots. All were double lung hits. The distances traveled after being hit were 40 yards, 45 yards, 60 yards and 15 yards.

I gave all the does away to people who needed meat but kept the tenderloins. After doing a search on Iowa Whitetail for good recepies I settled on a Cookies Flavor Enhancer, fresh ground black pepper and oil marinade. I let them sit in this in a zip-lock with periodic mixing all afternoon. Then I cooked them briefly on a hot grill searing the outside and warming the middle.

Even my wife, Young Doe, and my teenage daughter, Even Younger Doe, loved it. I don't have words to describe how tender, juicy and delicious the meat was. Any resturant serving food of this quality could charge a fortune and still have a long waiting line.
laugh.gif

Good hunting, good qdm and good eating!
grin.gif
2021336_Larry_does_alt_7_4x6.jpg

Old buck

Larry,

What a hunting experience! How long between shots and did you you stay in the same location? They all appear to be fairly mature does to boot ... hope you had some help dragging them out!

Congrats!

I had a pair of tenderloins the other night, I know exactly what you are talking about. Good job Larry and great picture!

No loosing those arrows when they are stuck in the ground on the other side of a deer
grin.gif
!

[ QUOTE ]
No loosing those arrows when they are stuck in the ground on the other side of a deer

[/ QUOTE ]

...or up in a tree
wink.gif
grin.gif

Threebeards,

It is hard to tell from the photo but one is a 1 1/2 and three were 2 1/2 or older. I got them from a ground blind and was able to drive right up to them so dragging was limited. The shots were fairly close together because the deer never figured out I was there. I'm big on low impact hunting. I actually had to do my dog bark routine to get a little 8 point buck to leave without educating him. He was nearby for all 4 doe kills and never had a clue. It was really neat.
grin.gif

SEMN,

Actually I finally figured out that I can carry 9 arrows on my 5 arrow quiver by putting the extras in between the regular slots. I started with 8 arrows that day.

Thanks to a field dressing demo by onecam and several other tricks I've picked up I've become rather efficient at doe removal.
grin.gif

Old Buck

When I grow up I want to be just like you. If I grow up I should say.

Very neat picture, way to get after them Larry. I just finished a plate of Nate's buck spaghetti. Yum Yum!

Top Bottom