Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

QDMA membership????

Cornfed

Bowhunting Addict
I was just wondering how many of you that frequent this site are members of the Quality Deer Management Association. I just found there website and it is AWESOME!!! Those B&C and P&Y maps are great!!! I have never seen maps that would allow you to search for typicals or non-typicals by county, total numbers, etc.... very cool site.... looks like they are a very organized group. I will be sending in my check soon to join.... interested to get feedback from any of you members.....

Thanks for the heads up on this site. Very interesting information there.
waytogo.gif

I am a member of the Quality Deer Management Association and strongly support their cause. Any of you out there who are interested in "management" and more importantly, growing bigger bucks, check out the web site and join up. It's well worth the money.

this would appeal to very few iowa hunters since it is completely contrary to the deer driving party hunting mentality that shoots all bucks that move regardless of size etc. the iowa slaughter goes on and good deer are incidental.

nodrive,

I've been promoting the concept for many years and am happy to report that every year I find more and more Iowa deer hunters who are becoming deer managers by adopting qdm principles. In areas where the qdm'rs concentrate great progress is being made. I am optomistic that as more and more of the general deer hunting population becomes aware of the potential we have in Iowa qdm will become increasingly prevalent.

Old Buck
893USA1-thumb[1].gif

Nodriver, I guess I don't understand your attitude and comments. First of all, if the QDMA concept appeals to a few more people than it did before this organization was started, then it is a success. And second of all, if someone wants to shoot a deer that doesn't meet your standards, what business is it of yours, anyway ? I've watched the debates on this site over time, and haven't said anything up until now. I used to shoot any antlered buck that came in front of my bow or muzzleloader. Now, I wait for a buck that gets me more excited before I take aim. This year, I let several small and medium bucks go by, and 'almost' got a shot at the big one. I was really pumped, and still hold out hope for the late season. My 12-year old son has taken 2 does in the last year, and now is wanting an antlered deer - any antlered deer. I doubt that few on this site would criticize a kid for shooting a small buck, if that is what he ends up getting. What's the difference . . . that's one more buck that won't realize his antler 'potential'.

I guess my simple opinion is that if you want to hold out for larger deer, as I now do, then do it - but get off other people's case if they don't shoot your quality of deer. If they are legally and ethically taken, then there is no problem. If the landowner is okay with what is taken . . end of problem. The same methods and mindsets have been in place for years and years, yet the state continues to put out a lot of very big bucks each year. How many do we need before everyone is happy? I am actually in favor of letting more of the smaller deer go and shooting does instead, but I do not favor stepping on someone else because they don't match my opinion. If they start whining about small deer in their area, or too many does, that would be a different situation.

Well, I'm done venting. If you don't agree with me, that is fine. If you do agree with me, send me $100 in appreciation.

Well said Camoman, only I am not planning on forking over $100.
smile.gif

Nodriver - let's get over a holier than thou attitude towards others standards. Realize that not everyone subscribes to your beliefs about deer hunting. Have you ever shot a deer that didn't meet your current standards? ( I would be pretty surprised if the answer is no BTW.) If yes, then what moral ground do you have to criticize others?

Let others enjoy the outdoor experience and if you have that strong of feelings on the subject of QDM, educate and lead by example.

I have passed up dozens and dozens of bucks over the years, but do not get upset when others get the deer they are looking for, provided it was a legal harvest, etc.

Top Bottom