Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Quail Forever Research

blake

Life Member
NEWS:

From the Iowa DNR:

nlogo.png

www.quailforever.org

Quail Forever Awards Local Hunter $100 Prize For Assistance Wildlife Bureau With Survey

BOONE - The Iowa Department of Natural Resources is studying small game populations and harvest on public wildlife areas in southern Iowa to learn more about hunter use and harvest on the areas. This is the third year of the study.

Quail Forever supports any research aimed to guide better management and sustainability of the native bird and offered a $100 prize to a hunter who chose to participate in the survey.

Nearly 100 hunters were surveyed about their small game experience, which includes quail, pheasant, rabbit and squirrel. The survey was designed to measure the harvest during the season and timing of when the harvest occurred.

"We are investigating one of the many factors involved with upland game management," said Mark McInroy, upland game research technician with the DNR. "We know hunter harvest is rarely a cause of population declines, but on small, local scale and under certain circumstances, hunters can indeed over-harvest game even within the confines of current seasons and bag limits."

So far, the DNR has not documented any threat of over-harvest on the study areas, since the research began in 2008.

The 2010-11 survey included small game hunters from Michigan, Wisconsin, and Illinois with the most being from southern Iowa.
"Hunter cooperation is the key. Without that, we would not have any data," McInroy said.

Judith Parcell, from Fairfield, won the $100 prize.

"I've been bird hunting 13 years and I love watching my pointers find coveys," she said. "I appreciate the excellent job of management the DNR has done. I've never won anything. Thanks Quail Forever."

hoofline.gif

Top Bottom