Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question about my 4th season bird

marco

I was fortunate enough to call in a tom yesterday morning and manged to close the deal. He came in from over 300 yards across a bean field, really put on a show over the course of 30 minutes. After I shot him at 25 yards I went and checked his beard, it was just over 10 inches and I guessed him to weigh between 21-22 pounds. He was actually my 5th tom of the year (2 in SD, 1 in KS and 2nd in Iowa). He was definately a big bird, probably my second largest of the year. I was surprised when I turned him over and discovered he had nothing for spurs! They weren't broke off either, one was just a nub and the other was maybe an 1/8 of an inch. I've shot jakes with bigger spurs. Has anyone ever ran into this? He was definately a tom, had a full fan. I'm not complaining, it was an awsome experience and the end to a dream turkey season but I was just very surprised. Thanks

Marc

I had a buddy shoot one like that this year, and have seen it in the past..... guess its just one of those things..... kinda weird and it sucks especially if you have an infatuation for spurs....

:way:

One of the areas that I hunt has been known to have gobblers with absolutely no spurs just smooth legs like a hen.

I killed one this year that weighed over 25lbs that only had one spur. Shot him 1st season and then took my girlfriend out to the same area and she shot one that only had 1 spur as well. Smooth as could be. Very strange as this timber usually has some good spur length. I was wondering if it was the hard winter.

My friend shot a tom last year that had absolutely no spurs on either leg. Like others said, smooth just like a hen. It had a 10 1/2 inch beard and weighed around 22 pounds IIRC, just no spurs.

Top Bottom