Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question for Old Buck

F

fitzt

Just wondering what the main subject of your next print was going to be?

Good question fitzt. My wife keeps asking the same thing! Seems I've been spending a lot of time doing research this fall and winter.

Let's see, I've completed a study of lion head of this scarred, old, male I studied on the Serengeti. That would be fun. He has the kind of character you see in a really old buck. You know, chipped canine, battle scars on his face, old tear in his nose, looks like he'd enjoy you for an appetizer.

Then again, lots of people (many wives of whitetail fanatics) would like another songbird print and I love to paint birds. Maybe goldfinch on an old fence post with a wild rose in the scene or chickadees on frosty, fall weeds.

Many are ready for another pheasant piece. Others want to see another gobbler painting, so I'm considering a 'foggy morning' series. Of course a whitetail would fit nice into that set. You know, Foggy Morning Ringnecks, Foggy Morning Gobblers and Foggy Morning Whitetail.

Then, I keep checking my favorite website and see bucks like the Burlington bow kill and the Dubuque buck and think about how much fun it would be to do a 'monster whitetail buck' series.

It is all so confusing that I think I'll just have to pick up the bow, go climb a tree and try to clear my head!

Help me out guys (and ladies if you're out there). We have a wide range of members, from new hunters to those with many decades of experience. What would you like to put on the wall?

Larry,
I really like the idea and possibilities of a 'Foggy Morning' series.That would be something to make almost everyone happy.I think it would be awesome.Thanks.

I agree with captain, those foggy morning views of wildlife melting into the fog are utterly breath-taking. I bet any scene or theme you choose will be absolutly awesome.

Foggy morning sounds great. At least 5 prints in the series so my wife can purchase me one a year for my birthday. I received the "Big Country Bucks" print today. Awesome print!!!

Old Buck,
To me the scenery in a painting is as, or more important than the particular deer. After having cut my bowhunting teeth in heavily wooded areas of Missouri, I learned to love the open, rolling CRP prairies I hunt in NMO and SIA. Nothing is more beautiful than when the late evening sun brings out the brown and gold colors of the grass. Top it off with a big whitetail and maybe a fence line and some scrawny hedge apple trees in the ditches. Would make a great whitetail painting and I dont know that Ive seen one done that way. The Northwest Iowa barbwire buck seen on this site would make an excellent subject. He's one awesome prairie whitetail!
Maybe someday?

Whatever you do, It will be good..seen your stuff that the deer classic and there wasn't a bad one in the bunch, just wish my funds could put some on my wall.
Being a deer hunter I would, or should say,, that deer would be my pick and throw a ring neck and I may have to go in dedt for one.........

Here's an idea . . . totally unbiased, and I don't know what made me think of it. (Okay - the above statement is not true) How about a painting of a father and his kid out hunting, and watching a couple deer approach their stand? Capture the look of excitement and anticipation on the kid's face, and you have a sure winner. To help convince you of this idea, I'll agree to take the first print.

Larry I have enjoyed all of your paintings. I myself would like to see a few of sheds with mushrooms or turkeys in the background. The shed being the main focus of the print. I must say though, I was very impressed with the lion you showed us when we were over. I'm sure we will all enjoy whatever it is!

Chris

Wow..... And I thought you would have already had something started....

Would be kind of neat to try and influnce your next picture or series....

How about a RUT Series.... Things leading up too the breeding stage.

Big rubbed tree, with matching buck.

Nice scrape, licking branch, with matching buck.

Chasing phase....

I myself have always liked 1/2 frozen river, and snow scenes...

Like camoman's idea;

How about a kid in a treestand pulling up a bow on a rope with dad standing underneath him watching, and in the background a small buck is rubbing a tree with a monster buck standing behind him watching,also a young raccon could be at the edge of the creek trying to get supper as the old boar looks on from the bank above.

for another print you could have a father sitting in a timber working a turkey call and the son on the other side of the tree sitting with a gun.In the background on top of a hill you could have a Jake displaying as a big tom watches, and possibly a huge buck losing one side of his antler as a younger buck is smelling it on the ground.

Another print you could have a father standing in a field with a mature retreiver sitting next to him, as a child has a dog whisltle in his mouth and a throwing dummy that he is tossing for a retreiver puppy. In the distance there could be a younger pheasant out scratching the ground as a mature cock pheasant eagerly stands by.

You could possibly call the series "REACHING MATURITY" or "THE NEXT GENERATION"

Their's alot of combinations you could use with this,father/son, or father daughter,mother/son,mother /daughter.

There's alot of activities that occur with families and the outdoors,and passing on the traditions to the next generation is something we all live for.

Don't forget fishing.

A kid trying to cast a pole and the line is stuck in a tree with excess line out all over the place,the parent standing there smiling,could do a young frog jumping through the air after a fly as a bullfrog sits on a lillypad nearby.Show a huge bass catching his evening meal as a small bass watches nearby.

Could have a lot of fun with this combination.

Your works are all great , how about a red or gray fox maybe a bobcat as we have been seeing several here in SE Iowa sneaking on a covy of bobwhite quail, otherwise I like the idea of the foggy morning series as turkeys are my second passion AP #127

How about a print of a couple big dark racked massive Iowa hogs sitting in a sumac thicket with the snow coming down. You know, snow on the deer's face and body.

Great ideas. Some amazingly close to things I've been thinking about and some brand new. Other ideas or votes?
Old Buck

A composition I have always wanted to see is a bruiser buck chasing a couple does into a picked cornfield or CRP. Just as the does have crossed a weed choked fence line they flush a group of pheasants. The buck could be posed at a magestic full alert while the does could be stiff leg startled. If done in a horizontal format with the subjects to the side and spilling into the center of the picture it would give you the opportuntity to 'play' with the landscape, atmosphere/mood or simply add some of those distant hidden treasures such as turkeys, hunter, etc. I would think the regional market would support something like this...

I guess I will add to the idea's. I spent alittle time looking at alot of your magnificent artwork. It is obvious that deer are your passion. If I could waive a magic wand and paint as you do I would capture the beutiful sunset here in the midwest. With all of its purple,pink, orange, and red passion. Instead of timber the magnificent buck would be curled up next a haybale with the sunset in the background. The haybales would be in an open meadow with a few other does and smaller bucks grazing in the field. I might even add a few pheasants flying into cover as the sun is setting in the West. I see it so clearly in my mind. It takes my breath away. Only to have the talent!!!

I would like to see a buck also in some CRP. Maybe a close up of his head and neck sticking up on full alert. I guess just a buck in some CRP.

There have been various "deer progressions", with seasons, renewal of generations, etc. by various artists. Don't recall seeing a "hunter progression" however--young hunter after first buck, young man stalking with bow or whatever, to grandfather taking another young hunter out. Not totally unique as an idea, at least aspects of that have been done as has virtually everything in some fashion, but OB's presentation/style certainly would be. Might even be able to work in an owl somewhere.

Tracker and Camoman, I think your ideas are exellent. I can see the prints now. There is not many things more important to outdoorsman than to pass on their love of the outdoors to thier children. And i think with old bucks way of capturing the moment it would be a great success. This one gets my vote. Let's all thank old buck for letting us vent some of our ideas to him, and for the best paintings out there.

Top Bottom