Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question on discs

TimberPig

I have been looking at some discs and notice that on some of them you can get the same disc with the option of 16" or 18" discs. Most are also available with either a combination of notched discs on the front and plain on the back row or notched on both rows.
What is the advantage, other than a minimal weight advantage, of 18" vs 16" discs? The weight difference was only 40# total.
Also which would you prefer, combo blades or all notched, and why?

Thanks for any opinions.

Got my latest issue of QDMA mag last night. There is an article about discs. I haven't had a chance to read it yet but I bet it will answer your questions.

The 'Bonker

[ QUOTE ]
I have been looking at some discs and notice that on some of them you can get the same disc with the option of 16" or 18" discs. Most are also available with either a combination of notched discs on the front and plain on the back row or notched on both rows.
What is the advantage, other than a minimal weight advantage, of 18" vs 16" discs? The weight difference was only 40# total.
Also which would you prefer, combo blades or all notched, and why?

Thanks for any opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally the notches are for cutting thru trash, so it depends on if you will need to be working on cornstalks or heavy sod type situations.
The higher blades will most likely add not only more wieght but a little more curvature to cut and cover a little better.
IMO when it comes to disc's...size matters
grin.gif

TP- are you looking at a 3pt then? Overall for foodplots I think the bigger blade is a good deal for coverage- not like you are going to wear one out doing an acre or two a year but they will wear longer and may be a little more stout if you are hitting any rocks. 40# is 40# that you don't have to add with blocks or weights. The new QDMA mag does have an article but I just glanced at it. I sold my little 3pt disk, they are pricey. If you can watch farm sales- there are alot of nice old outfits out there just too small for most of todays operators. I can't remember exactly but I picked this one up for around $250- had to buy a cylinder and hoses for another $100 but it does a much better job than the old "new" one.
2006_01270001.jpg

Is that a harrow or leveler on the back Pharmer? Hard to beat that deal! A neighbor picked up a smaller one then yours for $100!! Whole lot better then the little 3 pt ones for sure. Only thing you have to watch out for is bearings...walk around check em out before your start bidding. They can be a real pain in the rear to change, especially if the disc has been setting around for some time and everything is froze up!! If you know somebody with a torch and a big hammer your all set!
grin.gif

It's been awhile but the last one I worked on was a real knuckle skinner!
cussing.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I know who to call when/if I need help.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I know who to call when/if I need help.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dang...I walked right into that one!
doah.gif

last summer we gave a 15' disc away, it had the cylinder and everything worked, we just didnt use it anymore. If you keep your eye out when driving by farms, you can spot quite a few in the 14- 20 ' range with weeds growing up around em. If you catch the right farmer on the right day, he might be more than happy to get rid of a little iron.
If your only looking for a disc for foodplots, I wouldnt be to concerned on with the size or exact configuration of the disc. The worst thing that could happen is you might need to make an extra pass or two, but theyll all tear it up imo.

The full discs make a finer cut and require more machine to pull. The scalloped make a rougher cut and like said earlier may need another pass or two to get a good finish. Combo setups make a finish between the two.

Thanks for the info. I dont have rear hydraulics so I am limited to a 3pt style disc. Pull behind is out, too bad because there are alot of them around. The tractor is only 28hp so I dont want anything too big. Probably looking at a 5'-6' or so.
Danno- Thanks for the insight!
smirk.gif

I'm sure you saw the ones in the Farm n Fleet flyer. I like the one that you can adjust the angle for different cuts. Notched on front and finish on back...looks like a winner!
waytogo.gif

I forgot- if you are looking at the Farm & Fleet or TSC or similar lines. Look for one with a tubular frame instead of angle iron- they tend to be heavier and won't flex as much.

Top Bottom