Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question on Frost Seeding into tall grass.

vanveenh

Like the heading says, I have an area I want to frost seed some clover into.Probably only a 1/4 acre. The only problem its an area of taller grass that is around 2-3ft tall. Is this doable? I will not be able to burn the area. Main thing I have is a weedeater. Any thoughts would be helpful. Would you recommend killing the area and then weed eating it?

Wont work to a degree that will be worth your time or money unless you can nuke that grass and clear the thatch somehow.

1/4 acre plot takes me about 30 minutes or so to weedeat - got to clear much of that thatch to frost seed in my opinion but very doable with a decent weedeater when the ground is still hard

For just a 1/4 acre, if you can't burn it off, I would probably sow the seed FIRST, then cut it/weed whack it. Hopefully that cutting process will "shake" the small clover seeds down to the soil surface first and then they will get "thatched" by whatever you cut/whack.

I have done pretty similar to this a couple of times with fair success. Not ideal, but doable. If you cut it and then seed it you will have much more seed laying on top of the grass than what you want IMO. The commence spraying in a month or two, once things start growing.

I'm to the point of just forgetting about plots that size. Even when I do everything right and the weather cooperates, they just don't stand up to pressure well enough to be worth the effort. The only thing I ever out of my small green plots is a doe or two in early October.

How I'm reading it is the current grass has not been killed. I don't have near the experience with foodplots as others but I have done a few poor man plots with pretty good success. I think you have two ways to go about doing it.

1- frost seed and as soon as the grass starts to green up hit it with some clethodim and crop oil. I would think it would need a second application 4-8 weeks later if the label allows.

2- don't frost seed and use the spring/summer to get it prepared (herbicide and weed eat) to plant in the fall. Then in late August or early September spray herbicide again and broadcast clovers with oats/rye as a cover crop. You wont have near the weed pressure but the clovers wont grow a whole lot that fall either. The following spring it will come in nicely though.

I don't know what kind of weedeater you have but I have a Stihl and bought something similar to this and it works extremely well for clearing thick grass and weeds.

cffb5d837aba03cbe2040c41f2903e5b.jpg

I'm to the point of just forgetting about plots that size. Even when I do everything right and the weather cooperates, they just don't stand up to pressure well enough to be worth the effort. The only thing I ever out of my small green plots is a doe or two in early October.
I think they can work for clover. My 3 biggest bucks have all been shot on clover plots, in October, all about 1/8 acre, tight to cover.

Being that the plot is small enough and it sounds like possibly equipment is the issue. I would weed it as soon as you can now...then mow it with a riding lawn more(if you have one). Heck even a push mower would work with the chute flipped up. Your just trying to get the left over grass out of there. Then I would hand rake it, this will loosen up some of the grass that is there and allow lots of your seed to get to the soil. Then spread seed. I would let the grass begin to grow and then hit it with cleth. You WILL have a weedy stand of clover that will most likely take you all year to get cleaned up. But with proper herbicide and mowing by the fall it should be nice and clean.

I am curious why burning is not an option?

Being that the plot is small enough and it sounds like possibly equipment is the issue. I would weed it as soon as you can now...then mow it with a riding lawn more(if you have one). Heck even a push mower would work with the chute flipped up. Your just trying to get the left over grass out of there. Then I would hand rake it, this will loosen up some of the grass that is there and allow lots of your seed to get to the soil. Then spread seed. I would let the grass begin to grow and then hit it with cleth. You WILL have a weedy stand of clover that will most likely take you all year to get cleaned up. But with proper herbicide and mowing by the fall it should be nice and clean.

I am curious why burning is not an option?
The landowner just doesn't want us to burn anything. Which I understand.

Top Bottom