Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question on which Camera

New here so go easy on me lol.

We have 230 acres here in Iowa that we hunt and manage for quality whitetails but are really struggling with what cameras work best for getting all the pictures.

We have used the Moultries and the Stealth Cameras but it seems we are missing a lot of pictures.

Most of the cameras we have used in the past dont even pick us up when we walk by them to and from stand locations, we do get some deer but I have to believe we are missing some pics.

My question is what one camera out there is the most reliable that you have had sucess with for taking pictures and lasting.

We get down to the farm about once a week to work so batteries arent a huge issue but I would like for them to be able to work off of a solar panel so we dont have to disturb the cameras too much.

I also want to have the date time and moon phase stamp on them if at all possible.

Moneys not a huge issue as long as we get what we pay for.

I am looking for at least 12 cameras not that the quantity has a lot to do with my problem

Steve

Scoutguard 550...color by day infarred at night. 1.2 sec. trigger speed. $200 ...runs off 8 aa batteries..small camera

Scout Guard 550 all the way and not because I am a dealer for them now but because it is the best camera for the money out there. I built my own for 6 years and they work fine, but I did not get video or have the options I do with the Scout Guard. Great battery life, small and dependable. If you are looking at larger amounts like that give me a call or send me an e-mail.

randy@advanced-whitetail-hunting.com

920-627-0486

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dolph</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scout Guard 550 all the way and not because I am a dealer for them now but because it is the best camera for the money out there. I built my own for 6 years and they work fine, but I did not get video or have the options I do with the Scout Guard. Great battery life, small and dependable. If you are looking at larger amounts like that give me a call or send me an e-mail.

randy@advanced-whitetail-hunting.com

920-627-0486

</div></div>

Ok so whats the difference between the scoutgaurd 550 and the dlc covert, is it just that the 550 is camo or are they completely different cams???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rutnstrut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Ok so whats the difference between the scoutgaurd 550 and the dlc covert, is it just that the 550 is camo or are they completely different cams??? </div></div>

I own both the SG550 and the DLC Covert II. From what I know and can tell, they are built around the same "guts", just in different cases (the DLC is a weather proof "pelican" type box). Chasingame.com did a water test of the SG550 and it seems to be pretty weather proof, but the manual still says that you need to protect it from the elements. The DLC Covert has added a couple more IR led's and they are in a more rectangular pattern. It doesn't have the "center spot" illumination as bad (still does, though) as the SG550. The SG550 has a groove across the body of it that facilitates using a python cable to affix it to a tree. There is no such accommodation on the DLC so it might be harder to secure. I looked at the DLC last weekend to see if I could put some u-bolts on it and there isn't much spare room inside. I'll look closer soon, though I imagine drilling the case voids warranty.

I'm not impressed with either camera on moving game when in the picture mode. The exposure time is such that you get some blurring. Video mode will most likely avoid that but I haven't tested video yet. I set the DLC to do double shots and it was taking pics 3 seconds apart.

I put the SG550 out the first week of January and pulled it a week ago. The 8 lithium batteries I put in it still read full charge, we had a week of -20F and it took close to a thousand pictures.
DLC thread
SG550

Hey guys, if you have any questions on the scout guards or the DLC's give me a shout. I have used just about every cam out there,as well as building my own homebrews. Last year I sold all of my homebrew parts after getting these cams. I was so impressed with them that I inquired about being a dealer. As many of you know we only sell products we have tested and believe in. Just another fine product to add our list.

Battery life is awesome. I run nimh rechargeables even in the cold, basically zero cost to run.

If you are interested in the video mode, heres a few videos taken with mine since Decemeber;

http://www.youtube.com/45graywolf

jeff@graywolfwoolens.com

Well from what I here I like the -20 stuff but I dont think I like the moving pictures being blurry not much good if you cant decipher what the picture is with out a degree from nasa.

Anyone have any stills of "walking" deer that I can see? the video part doesn't really impress me all that much more interested in the picture taking aspect of it ... now most of our cameras are on food plots so movemenet is a big key so if anyone has any first hand pictures that they wouldnt mind posting or sending my way that would be great.

Thanks for the help and info guys.

Steve

I said some blurring, not every picture or as a rule. Here is one pic that was a little blurry.
blur.JPG

These pics were taken with the Scout-guard 550:

IM000005.JPG

n1296797470_30068170_3949675_1_.jpg

n1296797470_30068169_6400121_1_.jpg

I have more motion pics at home but I have only noticed some blurry pics in the night/IR shots. Great camera for the money.
After toting around the Moultries and other cheaper cameras these cameras are compact and light as a feather! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rutnstrut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Ok so whats the difference between the scoutgaurd 550 and the dlc covert, is it just that the 550 is camo or are they completely different cams??? </div></div>

I own both the SG550 and the DLC Covert II. From what I know and can tell, they are built around the same "guts", just in different cases (the DLC is a weather proof "pelican" type box). Chasingame.com did a water test of the SG550 and it seems to be pretty weather proof, but the manual still says that you need to protect it from the elements. The DLC Covert has added a couple more IR led's and they are in a more rectangular pattern. It doesn't have the "center spot" illumination as bad (still does, though) as the SG550. The SG550 has a groove across the body of it that facilitates using a python cable to affix it to a tree. There is no such accommodation on the DLC so it might be harder to secure. I looked at the DLC last weekend to see if I could put some u-bolts on it and there isn't much spare room inside. I'll look closer soon, though I imagine drilling the case voids warranty.

I'm not impressed with either camera on moving game when in the picture mode. The exposure time is such that you get some blurring. Video mode will most likely avoid that but I haven't tested video yet. I set the DLC to do double shots and it was taking pics 3 seconds apart.

I put the SG550 out the first week of January and pulled it a week ago. The 8 lithium batteries I put in it still read full charge, we had a week of -20F and it took close to a thousand pictures.
DLC thread
SG550 </div></div>

Ok but what about the ORIGINAL dlc covert, and the sg550 that are in the EXACT same case just the sg550 is camo and says scoutgaurd on it and the dlc is green and says dlc covert on it. How are these different except case color, are they made by the same company?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I said some blurring, not every picture or as a rule. Here is one pic that was a little blurry.
blur.JPG
</div></div>

Thats what my night pics. look like out of my cudde no flash...NOT impressed with that camera at all..

I'm interested in the video quality of the cams, since I already own 8 cams that take pics.

What camera do you guys recommend for taking video?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rutnstrut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok but what about the ORIGINAL dlc covert, and the sg550 that are in the EXACT same case just the sg550 is camo and says scoutgaurd on it and the dlc is green and says dlc covert on it. How are these different except case color, are they made by the same company? </div></div>

I read somewhere that there was some loophole in the contract with the manufacturer of these cams that did not lock out other vendors (one company does not have exclusive rights). Thus, HCO and DLC get the same cam from the same manufacturer with their name stamped on it. This could be a bad internet rumor and if so, I apologize for spreading it. Anybody know the real story?

Ya I think you may be right, I havent heard anything about this but I bought a DLC COVERT 1 at the classic and when you open up the bottom and look for the serial number and model name it says model SG-550 so Im guessing exact same cam just sold to two different companies. I was kinda worried that maybe the DLC wasnt as good as the scoutgaurd because i only had to pay $160 for the DLC in a green case, but am glad now that I didnt spend the extra money just for the camo case with the scoutgaurd name on it.

I have not noticed anymore blurry pics than I did with all of my moultries or cuddebacks. Actually probably a lot less. I do get a few blurry pics at night. IMO these are still hands down the best affordable camera out there.

JNR is spot on with the specs of the the Coverts. A few more IR bulbs and a wider sensing angle I believe.

I will say that I did have some issues with a couple of my camera's. I don't know if they had a bad batch get out or what but 3 of my cams I had problems with. I emailed them and they told me to ship them in. I had 3 new cameras in less than two weeks.

The video's are unreal. You might think you won't use the video's but trust me you will once you've tried them. Here's a few videos from the Scoutguard.
Scoutguard Videos

Here's a few more pics. I'm glad the snow's gone. It was deep.

1-23-09Freds017.jpg

1-23-09Freds121.jpg

1-23-09Freds119.jpg

1-23-09Freds345.jpg

Top Bottom