Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Questions

M

MQ32

i have a question i am a young bowhunter and have had a few struggles this year. I missed a monster buck and now i want to make it up in the late season. I need to know if anyone has in tips or tatics for me. i have read all the articles but they dont do much for me so if you have any late season secrets that could help me out itd be nice to know. Thanks

Late season can be challenging for a mature buck but they still have two weaknesses. One is they have to eat to regain the wieght they lost during the rut so hunt a funnel back a little from a well used food source and you could get an oportunity during daylight. The other is doe, there are always some does that go into estrus late season so don't be afraid to keep using scents and some agressive grunting and an occasional snort-wheeze. A lot of hunters, around here anyway, tend to forget about calling after the early archery season. My son did some agressive grunting this past Tuesday which is the second week of a two week anything goes season. Even with all the pressure he coaxed one in to within 4 yards and he burried his nose in some scent for the last time. Patience and a positive attitude get the job done also, good luck!

Hide in a bush and if a big ones comes by jump out and scare the living piss out of it. And hope it has a heart attack! LOL Just get in your stand early and try to hunt all day. And like posted above hunt near a food source!

MQ32,

To add what to what the others have said, don't get discouraged! Bow hunting is an extremely rewarding sport even if you don't harvest an animal. You say you missed a monster buck? That's awesome! Not that you missed him, but you did everything right to put yourself in position to get a shot at a big boy. Some people go many, many years without even a big boy in bow range..ME. ha, ha

I wish you the best of luck!

Xtec

Thanks for the advice. I am far from discouared. I was pretty happy with myself gettin the oppertunity. Thanks

I started bow hunting 2 years ago. My first year, I missed two different good bucks (130" and 140"). Don't loose hope. I got a 130" this year after calling him in. But the funny thing is, I acctually counted all of the times I saw a buck I was going to shoot and something happened (not caused by me) for the deer to not come all the way in---10 different times. Anywhere from 130" to a double drop tine 190"!
The late season (like said) is a time to hunt food sources. Sit in the timber 50 yards, for a buck will normaly hold back for quite some time.

HunterMan
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

Question in reference to the alte season again. When is the time of day that deer will be moving most. I would like to be in the woods all day but sometimes i get a lil bored...thats when i start to see things...but would you hunt morning afternoon or just before dark? thanks for any suggestions

Top Bottom