Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rabbit in Distress call recommendations

NebraskaWhitetail

Can anyone recommend a top notch rabbit distress call that will attract coyotes? I bought a Sceery Cottontail Distress call awhile back, and I may not be blowing it correctly, but to me it sounds awful (and not "awful" in a way that coyotes would find appealing
grin.gif
)

I have always had good luck with my old Johnny Stewart mouth blown call and Randy Anderson makes some great calls as well.

My favorite is the Dan Thompson PC-2. It is simple enough for a guy like me to use and can be used as an excellent fawn bawl. Warning though, you may call in more does than coyotes. I've been dang near run over by a doe or two while using it. I carry it in the fall and sometimes it almost feels like cheating when I'm trying to fill some doe tags...almost
grin.gif

I really like the primos Ky-yi for rabbit distress. But I am more of a electronic guy. JS612. I love it. Its the greatest thing for a midline price. I really DO NOT like Sceery. Just doesn't feel or sound right. if you wanna get real serious get ahold of one of the custom call makers of predatomaasters.com (not pushing another site
grin.gif
it's just were i find these guys) SOME GREAT CALLS!! really not that exoensive either, this weather change is going to get some movig!

[ QUOTE ]
....predatomaasters.com (not pushing another site
grin.gif
it's just were i find these guys)....

[/ QUOTE ]

Predatormasters is indeed a great site. Lots of good info from hunting tactics and equipment to pelt care.

The 'Bonker

I always use an electronic call, but have found that the yellow bellied woodpecker distress call is the best, it sends them running. I wonder if too many guys stick with the rabbit call and the coyotes learn from bad set ups on the hunters part and it seems that they learn from it. Also if it hasn't been freezing cold for a couple weeks it seems like the hunting will be slow. goodluck
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite is the Dan Thompson PC-2.

[/ QUOTE ]
I use this one also with great results. I also like the Ki-yi and the tally ho. Both are versitle. The PC-2 is probably the easiest to use.

Thasnks for the input guys. I should have clarified that I'm looking for some sort of a hand-held mouth call that I can take with me while bowhunting to lure the yote into bowrange. Saw more coyotes during deer season this year than ever before and would like to take a whack at some next fall.

Why wait till next fall? I'd be getting after them right now. It's a great time of year to call em and every one you kill now will be one less around in June when the fawns start dropping.
grin.gif

I would buy one of those cheap calls with the remote, I can't remember the brand but they are about 50 bucks and have a remote control. They are so small they could fit in your pack and you could strategically place it 20 yds from your tree and turn it on low if you saw a yote that way they wouldn't pin point you up in the tree. That is if you are serious about it, I couldn't do it just because Im deer hunting
grin.gif

Top Bottom