Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rage Broadheads

Seth, it was a 5-1/2 year old buck. I never mean't to hit him in the shoulder but it happens sometimes.He was only a 7 pointer on his way downhill but weighed 200 field dressed. I think its really a matter of what people are comfortable with as far as broadheads. I've unfortunately made some not so good hits on a few deer over the last 10 years with fixed blade heads, 2 with Wasp boss SST 100gr and 1 with a Muzzy 4 blade. I never wanted to switch to mechanicals until I saw some friends using the Rage with 100% success.I hit 1 deer with the Wasp but it was a single lung hit and the other 2 were a bit high and I found both of those more than 300 yards away with hardly any blood trail the next mornings after. I never found the single lunged deer after leaving him overnight.I truly feel I would have recovered all those deer and much faster with a Rage but I made poor shots with the fixed blade heads and that was my fault, not the broadhead. I have used Rage for 2 years now with 7 deer down quickly(all died within 50 yards) and none injured or lost and don't plan on switching anytime soon. I have killed 3 turkeys in the last 2 years too and they put em down quick too.I personally have no reason to switch.

Only problem I have heard about them is deploying blades when you take them out of your quiver. So you could have troubles if not paying attention ;)

what is the deal with people dissing on products that are shown on TV or do a ton of advertising? Its called marketing and some companies are just better at it than others. I think it is just ignorant to say that your not going to use a product because so and so shoots them or you saw their commercial to much on TV. As for the performance of the Rage, I hate how easily the blades fall when you bump them, but I have shot 13 deer now with them and they are just flat out devastating on whitetails. If you lose a deer of dont have a good blood trail its because you made a poor shot plain and simple, doesnt matter what heads you are using if you dont hit em right dont expect to be going home with a smile on your face. I think what it comes down to is just having confidence in the gear you are using and whatever that may be, when you find it stick with it.

what is the deal with people dissing on products that are shown on TV or do a ton of advertising? Its called marketing and some companies are just better at it than others. I think it is just ignorant to say that your not going to use a product because so and so shoots them or you saw their commercial to much on TV.

Ignorant? OK, I'll run with that!:D So you buy all of your hunting equipment based on advertising and are the original FanBoy? Guess why a lot of these products cost what they do: advertising budgets! So you can get in line and pay a premium for products that work no better than other comparable items out there that cost half as much. Who's ignorant here?

If you lose a deer of dont have a good blood trail its because you made a poor shot plain and simple, doesnt matter what heads you are using if you dont hit em right dont expect to be going home with a smile on your face.

Exactly! Unfortunately I think some buy into the "it's like throwing an axe through them" or "money back if you don't recover your deer" hype and take shots hoping that the broadhead compensates for poor shot selection. Can you say advertising hype?

I think what it comes down to is just having confidence in the gear you are using and whatever that may be, when you find it stick with it.

Some people need to "buy confidence". Instead of gizmos and gimmicks, I wish I could bottle and sell confidence. I don't need to spend more money on my equipment to gain confidence. I do just fine with broadheads that are half the price, deer pile up real quick. Use what works for you but don't call anybody ignorant for not jumping on a bandwagon.

I personally have heard of more malfunctions and lost deer with the Rage than any other head in my 30 years of bowhunting. Just one example was the doe a friend of mine shot late muzzy season that had a Rage stuck in her side that had not opened up. She was doing just fine. I also know of an outfitter that will no longer allow any clients to shoot them. He had also seen a huge amount of deer lost to these heads. More than any other head in his many years of guiding. In fact, the prior two years, every deer lost (12) was hit with a Rage. Maybe they encourage poor shot selection, maybe they are being shot with the wrong equipment, maybe they are junk. Either way, they are a marketing nightmare for bowhunting. If everyone pursued the money-back guarantee, Rage would go broke. You are paying a lot of money for hype and a very average head in my opinion. One bright side, good head for turkeys. But there are many that work equally well for far less money.

Exactly! Unfortunately I think some buy into the "it's like throwing an axe through them" or "money back if you don't recover your deer" hype and take shots hoping that the broadhead compensates for poor shot selection. Can you say advertising hype?

I do agree to an extent, but with this logic you wouldnt drive a ford or chevy, or you wouldnt wear scentloc or scent blocker who say " forget the wind just hunt", which we all know is not true. I could give hundreds of examples of hunting and non hunting companies that "hype" their advertising but what I was saying is those companies are just doing good business, and I dont think you can fault them for that. Do I think Rage is the best broadhead out there? probably not, but they do work pretty well in my opinion ( which is just an opinion). As for the money aspect, they are expensive, but I bet that expense theory doesnt come in to play with some of the other products that you use so I dont know why it would when deciding which broadhead to use. Im not trying to pick a fight, I just dont get why people are always bashing on what other people use? I shoot a mathews bow and Im happy with it, but I hear all the time how other bows are so superior, I dont really care what people use as long as they are happy with the product than use what you want. Ive said it before, that I support the hunting industry and anyone who does it, and I dont want people to feel like if they dont use this or that product that they dont belong, because Im just happy that we can all enjoy our sport. Wow that was way to long, sorry guys.

I have just switched to shooting the rages this year. Have had very good results. Only one arrow was not a complete pass through and I hit a rib with that arrow and it passed through 2/3rds of the the deers body on a severly quartering away shot. With that said, after 5 bounds she snapped the arrow and bled like a stuck pig and only went 40 yards!

I don't care what broadhead you shoot, you would have a hard time passing any broadhead through the vertical bone off the scapula or the ball joint on either shoulder! Yes a rage will pass through the scapula, but not directly on or you wont get much penitration (with fixed also) on that vertical bone off the scapula! Even through the scapula you wont pass through a deers body from my experience, the arrow will lodge in the other shoulder or rib cage and do a pile of damage cutting every thing to hell in there. BONUS with the rage here over the fixed is the entry hole! Here the rage is supreme! The entry hole is so big the blood just boils out of it giving you an awesome trail.

One thing I have learned is to pull and extra 5-7 pounds, 65lbs plus when shooting any expandable broad head, just for the fact that you do loose some kanetic energy upon entry.

I think most people shoot for that shoulder allot of the time, break the shoulder and tear them up! Well it is great but sometime you hit that little spot on the spot and good luck! 3-4" of penetration and that is it! I have learned the hard way and now shoot for the back of the scapula and punch both lungs, deers dead in the same distance! And if you can wait for when that shoulder moves forward, you get the heart shot with out going through the shoulder!

So, it is all ones personal opinion on the broad heads now a days, the muzzy is good, the rage is good, Just make your shots count and ya, every once and a while, it will happen with every broad head out there, they find that ball or t on the shoulder and oops, no recovery. It happens.

I like them, so far! I also love my thunderheads!

Top Bottom