Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rainy day surprise in Cass County

WillBates

I got in before first light hoping it wasn't going to rain on me all morning. Thankfully it was misty the whole time. Early on after first light I seen 1 small buck to my east and a doe to my west. About 8am there 4 different bucks to my south in a partially harvested corn field about 300 yrds away. Evidently a hot doe was in the area because those deer did not leave the field at all. About 9am after only seeing one of these bucks, I look up to my east and there was deer running back at me from the highway. These bucks were all trying to head east but the vehicles spooked them back. So they came back in my section. I rattled and grunted bringing a small 8 to my tree. After he moved off I waited 20 minutes and did it again. As soon as I went to put the rattle bag back in my pack this bruiser comes running down my ditch/crick right at me. I grabbed my bow immediately after seeing what he looked like. He ran and stopped on his own 8 yards underneath me. I let it fly hitting between the shoulder blade and loin. It was a very steep angled shot, more or less straight up and down. He ran with off with half my arrow sticking out in the crp 100 yards away. I backed out for 2 hours and came back out 12. Obviously we were going to have to just foot track and hopefully spot it because of no pass through. We looked for a good 1-1.5 hrs with no luck. My 2 buddies walked down into some standing corn and I walked back to the CRP looking for anything. I walked down through the grass and somehow seen a kinda bald flat spot in the grass. In that bald spot was a white belly. Some how we walked around him, I mean within 10 yards or less and never seen him. He ran maybe 110 yards. Definitely my biggest. This is the only pic I got right now and it don't do him justice. 19 inches wide, he's slightly palmated like a moose and has a darker chocolate rack. Forking g3s, 13 points. Rough scored him around 171-172ish. Figure that out today hopefully with better pics.

Last edited:
Wow thats a beast! Congrats on a dandy! Post some more pics if and when you can please.

Can't kill em on the couch. Nice work. Saw my biggest buck on the road with a doe in the rain on my way to the taxidermist last night.

Top Bottom