Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rare morning

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Are all you guys hunting in areas with large expanses of native grass & possibly lucky enough to be far away from big timber?

A 40 acres switch grass field with a hedge shelter belt next to a cut corn field is some dynamite pheasant hunting!!

A 40 acre foxtail field is too :D

Are all you guys hunting in areas with large expanses of native grass & possibly lucky enough to be far away from big timber?
The piece that we killed our birds was 80 acres with a 15 acre bowl area in switch grass and the remainder in a prairie mix and a neighbor's corn field running one long side of the property. We later went to two other properties for some quail and seen no pheasant or quail. We had no dog which didn't help.

Yes, no "big" timber within site. Marsh, native grass, big blue stem, switch grass, etc. All the stuff intended for pheasants and upland game. Depends what you call large tracts as well. That day we hunted some larger pieces 40+ acres of solid CRP. It's getting less and less don't get me wrong however, if you find the cover and food you will find the birds. This years population has trumped years prior. I'd say 2nd and 3rd hatches were very successful, as we had a very very wet spring but dry summer. It allowed broads to relay and those chicks survived. I'd also say the wet spring allowed for excellent plant and cover growth ultimately leading to better chick survival. The birds we've shot this year have for the majority been this years crop, which is very promising.

Congrats! What area of the state are you guys hunting? Really miss those days with my GSP's.

Had two roosters and a hen fly out of my evergreens today, can't remember the last time when that happened! Pray for a easy winter and a good spring.

Habitat is the key boys, we need the drought to stop to help the deer and not to wet to help the hatch. Tough to get it all to happen.

Mother Nature has her ways...

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom