Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rathbun Area

Zim

My buddy and I will be hunting in Iowa from Nov. 2-10. Trying a few public ground areas from Drakesville to the far western portions of Rathbun, all of northern Appanoose County. Camping at Honey Creek State Park.

Last time we drew was 99 & 00, and we had many problems with pheasant and coon hunters down at Sedan Bottoms, so we are trying these new spots. Does anyone have any helpful info? I figure if we have similar problems this year I'm going to knock on doors and try to find private ground pretty quickly.

Zim,
I own property just west of Drakesville, I hunt it myself. I do know there is quite a bit of public ground north of me. I will try to look up the info and maybe I can get it to you.
I hope to be hunting the weekend of the 3rd, so maybe I will be down in the area.
Bowdude

Bowdude,

I think the area you mention is called Pioneer Ridge and Fox Hills. That is in zone 6. We are NR and have zone 5 bow tags. The farthest east we are allowed to hunt is Rt. 63. Do you know by chance if the private land surrounding Lake Wapello State Park has any outfitting going on around there? Do you think the landowners are approached often by bowhunters seeking permission? There's got to be some good bucks around there.

The Stephen's Forest tracts in Davis County are not too appealing to me. Don't appear to be too many funnels.

What is your opinion of these coon hunters? The CO down there told me there were very few, but they scoured every inch of woods at Sedan each night with spotlights, hounds and plenty of gunshots.
rambo.gif
Could barely get to sleep in the camper. Then tons of pheasant hunters during the day.

Top Bottom