Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

rattling

pmparks

what do you guys thank about rattling this weekend into next or even through the rut good bad or are they more hooked on does

i proly wouldnt bother, although i have had some good encounters right in the midst of rutting behavior, but you never know, if your in the right place at the right time anything can happen, good luck

Last edited:
I'll rattle anytime of the rut. However, I definitely rattle much more during the pre and early post rut and generally only rattle if I see a buck cruising from afar during peak rut. During peak and early post rut I like to add some doe bleats and grunts to mimic two bucks fightn over a hot doe.

As of yesterday rattling was working very well. I had three bucks come in to some blind rattling mixed with some aggressive grunting from my buck roar. One was a young 8pt while the other two were mature but just wouldn't offer a shot.

Ive seen several bucks the last few days come in to rattling. Unfortunatly a few of the big ones didn't offer any shots. Its worth a try if things are going slow for ya.

I think rattling could still be good, haven't seen any verified lockdowns yet. With the rut ramping up though, I'd be more apt to sit tight with maybe some chasing grunts or if I was going to rattle, I'd try to choose a setup where it's more difficult for them to get downwind to scent check. Easier said than done though. Hate to get winded by a buck that may have otherwise presented a shot by random chasing of does.

I had my best day today this year. Rattled in 2 yr olds and some little guys. It has been a bad year so far for rattlin.

Top Bottom