Rattling?

No action on saturday morning so I rattled and got the biggest buck I have personally seen out in the woods come out about 2 min after I rattled. Shot at him at 35yrds and hit a limb and it sailed over his back. I suck

During the rut I'll rattle around every 30 min. As long as they keep coming I'll keep rattling. If the action is slower I'll try about every hour or so...

Rattled a few times today. Soon spotted a 140 class 10 pt checking me out from across the field. He calmly walked into the timber so I hit the rattle bag again, grunted a few times and shut up. Hoped he'd take the timber around and end up checking it out from quartering downwind as I've had that happen several times before. No dice.

Although it varies, my favorite time to rattle is generally the last week of October into early November. But they seem to be a little behind schedule this year.

Lance forgot to mention it hit a swig before it went over his back. He would been at the on my wall if someone would have done a better job clearing out the shooting lanes:thrwrck::D

I rattled in two small bucks yesterday morning. My buddy I was hunting with, rattled in a 150" stud and shot right over his back.

Sat next to a thick bedding area this morning. Area is about 6-8 acres. Had decent activity till about 8:30. Once it hit 9:30 I thought "what the hell" and gave the area a 15-20 second rattling sequence. Honestly, I no than put the horns down and had 3 bucks come in within a minute. Two mature bucks and a 2 yr old 8. The biggest buck was a big bodied ugly boy with a 4 pt left side but a 18-20 inch spike-like main beam on the right. Good mass but just ugly headgear.

Why is it the oldest ugliest ones come in to 7 yds and stand broadside :rolleyes:. Why not a 160 class 10 ?? J/K, a really great hunt this am. Last buck came thru at 10:30 (another 2 yr old 8pt).

Here is the ugly boy that came in close.

Stick the pig! He's probably pushing other better deer off the land!

Deere1 said:
At what time do u start rattling ? I tend to wait till just before dark.

I've been seeing a lot of good bucks at 530, I hit them together at 515 and got a nice one to come in.

Since on the rattleing topic, what is your guys' sequence involve? Doe bleats, grunts and then rattle? Aggressive grunts, pretending to be 2 different bucks and 1 doe? Just thought it might help some of us out knowing this.

BJohnson said:
Sat next to a thick bedding area this morning. Area is about 6-8 acres. Had decent activity till about 8:30. Once it hit 9:30 I thought "what the hell" and gave the area a 15-20 second rattling sequence. Honestly, I no than put the horns down and had 3 bucks come in within a minute. Two mature bucks and a 2 yr old 8. The biggest buck was a big bodied ugly boy with a 4 pt left side but a 18-20 inch spike-like main beam on the right. Good mass but just ugly headgear.

Why is it the oldest ugliest ones come in to 7 yds and stand broadside :rolleyes:. Why not a 160 class 10 ?? J/K, a really great hunt this am. Last buck came thru at 10:30 (another 2 yr old 8pt).

Here is the ugly boy that came in close.

Nothing wrong with this deer..shoooot!

I know I should probably be doing some grunts from different calls and then rattle, but most times I just start cracking them together.

Most video's I've seen of a Buck approaching a decoy I never hear them grunt, they just stiff leg it up to them then bang the attack begins. I'm sure it works that way with two live deer too. I'm way better at cracking the horns together than I am with my grunt tube.

Referring back to another thread, I generally only use a grunt tube, when I can see a deer and check his mood before calling..

Back