Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rattling

rattle them in

for some not too aggressive rattling i use a set of heavy racks drill a hole in them and tie them together in a loose loop so they will do a lot of banging around i then lower them to the ground from the stand and shake them up and down hard, they bang together pretty loud and when they hit the ground all the time they are thumping the dirt fairly loud, and there isn't much movement just your hand moving:D

muddy said:
About 15 minutes

Is that 15 minutes after you hang your stand?

I wait about 30. But just do light rattling then wait 15 and get a little more aggressive.

-}}}---------->

Well tonight's hunt I didn't bang them together at all. Forgot them in the truck (too anxious to get into the new tree). Otherwise, about an hour after settling in the stand and about every 30-45 minutes or so after.

I hardly ever blind rattle anymore. I feel that I've been burnt too many times because of it (with many times not even realizing it). Now, unless things are going really SLOW, I'll only rattle if I see a buck and he's in a position where he won't be able to wind me easily. Speaking of wind, if I am setup next to a natural 'obstacle' where the deer can't circle me to get downwind, I do tend to blind rattle more.

I hardly ever blind rattle anymore. I feel that I've been burnt too many times because of it (with many times not even realizing it). Now, unless things are going really SLOW, I'll only rattle if I see a buck and he's in a position where he won't be able to wind me easily. Speaking of wind, if I am setup next to a natural 'obstacle' where the deer can't circle me to get downwind, I do tend to blind rattle more.

I'm with ya on this one. Any call you use might make a mature buck try to get down wind before coming in. Anymore, I use my calls as a last resort. Been busted way too many times.

I have rattled in 95% of the deer on my wall, only been burnt once or twice and thats because I was moving to much

Is that 15 minutes after you hang your stand?

I wait about 30. But just do light rattling then wait 15 and get a little more aggressive.

-}}}---------->

15 minutes after I have everything set and completely ready to go in the stand.

Question for everyone. I rattled a very nice deer into about 70 yards of me yesterday morning. He obviously didn't see any other deer and just stood there searching for about 5 minutes. He started to leave and I gave him a few soft grunts which got him to return to the exact same spot and look. How do you get them to finish? Decoy?

Bucknduck said:
Question for everyone. I rattled a very nice deer into about 70 yards of me yesterday morning. He obviously didn't see any other deer and just stood there searching for about 5 minutes. He started to leave and I gave him a few soft grunts which got him to return to the exact same spot and look. How do you get them to finish? Decoy?

I probably would of snort wheezed, but depende on How agressive he was. I have also scared some bucks off with a snort wheeze.

I find it very interesting every season the debate between those that say make noise or sit quiet, unless a big buck is passing by and away. I do believe it depends on how heavily hunted your deer are. Heavy pressure=smart deer. Large tracks, with minimal pressure, not so smart. Respond better. Deer in my area are hunted by everyone. Lots of bow hunters, plus poachers, I am told. So I just keep quiet,,most of the time. Let deer make the mistakes. Same goes with scents. Do my best to keep girls around. girls=doe scent. The real thing,,best attractant there is and it is FREE!

Thats what i do!

I'm trying a new setup this year and this is why I'm gonna "blind" call.

With my wind blowing out into a pick field with my deer decoy setup in the field. I'm hoping they will see the decoy and come to it, and I can get the shot off before he cuts my wind.

Otherwise I don't do any blind calling in the timber.

Mobile Cooter using IW

Although I love to see a buck come in to calling, especially a vigorous rattling sequence, I too tend to blind rattle a lot less nowadays due to some deer buggering things up by getting downwind of me, etc. Also, we are trying harder to avoid any deer contact with "non-shooters" so we do not educate the herd, etc.

That being said, we put one stand up in our timber that we almost never sit until "it's right". It is essentially our rattling stand and somewhere right around the 5th of November one of us will be in it! To the downwind is a steep drop off that really helps minimize the number of "circlers" and in front of the stand are three feint ridge tops that all merge about where our stand is. We usually only hunt this stand once or twice a year and almost always as a morning stand, when we know bucks are on their feet cruising.

I think because of the lay of the land I described above, bucks will almost always come in upwind of this stand when called to it. The timber is also fairly thick in this area, so they can't see much more than 50 yards, if that, at ground level. I think that also helps lead them to "search".

This stand is also about 125 yards away from known feeding and bedding areas, so we can get into it without anything getting spooked and it is close enough to those areas that willing bucks will travel that distance often. We have called in as many as 7 or 8 separate bucks in one morning from this stand. This stand is about a 10 on a scale of 10 in terms of setup for rattling.

From most other sets though, I do not blind rattle very often any more.

I had a doe decoy out last night and a doe and a fawn walked up on it and started to flip out. She stomped and barked for 20 mins at it

I do the same thing. For me it works like a charm. When they come in they are focused on the ground more than looking around. I have used this method for prob the last 10 yrs. I read about it in NAW a long time ago. I have every issue from the getgo.
It amazing the things I have read in that mag ovr the years.

msalow said:
I do the same thing. For me it works like a charm. When they come in they are focused on the ground more than looking around. I have used this method for prob the last 10 yrs. I read about it in NAW a long time ago. I have every issue from the getgo.
It amazing the things I have read in that mag ovr the years.

Same thing as what?

Mobile Cooter using IW

Top Bottom