Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Re enrolling crp

I am purchasing a property that has 28 acres of crp. It currently has ten still enrolled. It was all enrolled in 2010, and 18 of the acres were disqualified in 2020 due to a large amount of volunteer birch trees. The birch trees consist of 2- 3 acre strips of young forest and I kind of like it... I was told I can renroll those 18 acres if I remove trees. My question is since crp will allow tree planting is there any chance I can renroll those 2 -3 acre strips in tree crp and the remaining 12 acres in grasses? Or are the going to tell me if I want trees I have remove existing trees and plant seedings?

Thanks in adam

You are correct. If you want trees, you would have to start over with a forester approved plan and seeding. Another option would be to leave the strips of trees out of the contract and enroll the rest of the grassed area back into the program. Another thing to note; if the contract expired in 2020 and is still in conservation cover today, they will require you to tear up the seeding and seed new cover.

Agree on them making you remove the trees (silly IMO).

On the grasses, they will inspect what you have there and make a determination. Most CRP gets neglected and requires replanting. If it has been take care of and you have a nice stand, they won't require you to replant. NRCS has to visit the farm to make this determination.

Guys That's what I figured... thanks. I will probably just pick what areas I will renew... this is in a continuous sign up area of the county.. do you know anything about what make it eligible for the bonus money per acre?

Guys That's what I figured... thanks. I will probably just pick what areas I will renew... this is in a continuous sign up area of the county.. do you know anything about what make it eligible for the bonus money per acre?
It all depends on the soil type, but FSA will run the numbers. With CRP being capped at $300/ acre, there is a good chance that is where you will land. That plus the multiple incentives they currently have.

River birch grew natural by seed... about 10 million of them lol... there is a tree about every 5 to 7 foot with multiple shoots. trees are now about 15' tall now. I figured if they wanted to live that bad I will let them lol

Top Bottom