Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

recovering deer

bradley

triplebeam
if you shoot a deer on public hunting ground & it jumps the fence into a refuge can you still legally recover the deer

Turn it around, if you shoot a deer on public, or private ground and it jumps the fence into a refuge can you NOT pursue it? If you don't, wouldn't that be like wanton waste?

I think you have to right, even the responsibility, but I have no direct knowledge of the rules on this. It may also make a difference if it is some sort of private refuge.

The 'Bonker

I think as long as you take a direct route to the animal and make the recovery as quick as possible, you're fine. Might give a call to the local CO or sherriff first.

actually, if the wounded deer ran into a posted and legitimate wildlife refuge, you cannot go after it.

it is kinda dumb, but it applies to waterfowl as well, if a body of water/marsh is divided up into huntable and refuge, and you shoot a duck that falls and doesnt die, yet manages to swim over the line and then dies, you cannot retrieve it.

if an animal ends up over a refuge line, you're SOL.... unfortunate as it is, but that is the purpose of a refuge.

I think THA4 is right. I think the that the waterfowl refuges are no trespassing as well as no hunting. At any rate I would call the local CO and ask them what needs to be done.

I have been given permission on two separate occasions to go onto an Army Corps refuge to retrieve wounded deer. Big thing is to get permission from whomever is in charge of the particular piece of ground. I would think the kinds of people that manage these areas don't want to see a deer go to waste any more than the hunter.

It's been a while ago but I had a doe run into a refuge, called the local CO and he said "leave your gun outside and go get your deer". He was very nice about it, even offered to help.

rules for private land, is you can cross to retrieve your deer, no gun (you can take your knife). i would assume this would be the same in your situation. BUT, since you know the possibility may occur, i would find out the name of who is incharge, and have their number in your phone, just incase

Here in Toddville they have Wikiup Hill public hunting area. 1500 acres, with 500 acres of refugee splitting it right down the middle. Where do you think all the deer go during hunting season!!

Top Bottom