Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Recurve Advise

roadking

I'm a die hard compound shooter but I'm thinking about trying a recurve for a change of pace. Any advise is welcome.

If you have never shot a recurve, try to shoot as many different models as you can. dont overbow yourself. Maybe buy a medium priced one to start with. there are a lot of good bowmakers out there. Which one is anybodys guess. find a bow that you can shoot well. I have a friend that builds fiberglass bows. i have shot them they shoot real sweet if you want his number let me know

The best single piece of advise you can get would be to be very careful not to overbow yourself ie. too much draw weight. My first recurve I allowed a custom made bowyer (who should have known better) to talk me into getting a 60lb recurve, because I had been shooting a 65lb compound. I really struggled for years to become a good shot with that bow. After about 5 years trying with it, I got another bow set at 55lbs @ 28" and it made a world of difference in my accuracy. If I were to get another bow I would even consider getting a 50lb bow. With the right broadhead combination and the right weight arrow, it would kill any big game animal on the North American continent.....

It would certainly be late in the year to get serious for this season switching to a recurve.....

CAUTION... traditional bowhunting is a very addictive disease
grin.gif

Tom, check your private messages
waytogo.gif

I would recomend you go to a traditional shoot. I believe there is one large one in Ames Iowa each year and another in Coon Rapids MN. At these larger shoots there are usually a dozen or so tradional archery vendors who usually have dozens of used and new bows each. Try some out and find a model or bow that feels best.

I would agree with the previous poster, whatever you shoot for a compound go down 10 pounds are start shooting those bows first.

if you want to talk to some traditional guys, come to the fall festival, in eldora on the 12-13th. i haven't seen so many traditional shooters in one place in my life. pretty laid back atmosphere, all you have to do is ask, and guys will be talking your ear off, with advise. there are also a few traditional bow vendors onsite, with a nice selection of wood.

This is the best $12.00 you'll ever spend on your move to trad. This video is a promotion of one bowyer, but it has all the fundamentals in it, including the great advise you have been given by the guys above. It will truely get you started on the right foot, no matter which brand you choose.

Top Bottom