Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Recurve

180class

I'm really starting to get intersted more in traditional archery. I'm thinking about picking up a recurve and giving it a try, but I don't know much about them. I've been looking on ebay and see they have quite a few to choose from. They seem to range from about $70-$300. If I do decide to pick one up, I don't want to spend a whole lot, but then again, I don't want to skimp on quality. What would some of you traditional guys recommend?

Starting out I'd keep this in mind. Your draw length on a recurve/longbow will be at least 1-2 inches shorter than your compound draw length. keep the poundage down, i have a 60 pound longbow and it's a mother to shoot. I'm going to scrape it down to 45-50 pounds when I get some time... which is non existant.

Find a used Bear recurve, I've always had good luck with them.

I have 2 Damon Howatt recurves I've bought on Ebay and have killed deer with both of them. I paid 200 dollars or so for each and got really nice bows shipped to me.

I would recommend like muddy said a lower poundage than your compound .
I am 6 foot 4 and shoot a 52# bow at 29". I dont have a clue how fast it is but it kills deer.

I would recommend a bow that is at least 58" long . mine are 60" but anything shorter than that gives me a lot of finger pinch at full draw.

You can get a really nice bow for not too much money , just be sure to ask about limb twist , if there is any thing visible or mentioned about it then give it a pass, make sure the limbs are straight.

Good luck.

That bow will be 40 lbs. @ 28 inches. Nice bow although some people have problems shooting one with that type of grip. It's pretty much a longbow style grip.
Pearsons are sort of the unsung heroes of bows. They aren't highly sought after but perform very good.
Good luck with whatever you get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't want to spend a whole lot, but then again, I don't want to skimp on quality. What would some of you traditional guys recommend? </div></div>

Martin Archery is what you are describing. I offer them to you because you can find them at places like Cabelas. If you are interested in a custom bowyer....there is a whole slough of them making the bow you are describing. It's easy to research them on stickbow or tradgang. Take your time and do a little looking around. The length of the bow can be detrimental to your draw length.

As far as local bowyers....Jason Kendall here in Iowa makes a hell of a good bow for the price. Kanati bows

I shoot Widows, they are as good as anything made and customer service is second to nobody. Hell, I just recieved a 56" takedown and didn't care for the grain pattern in the limbs. They made me new limbs, no charge!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: River Bttm Boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

As far as local bowyers....Jason Kendall here in Iowa makes a hell of a good bow for the price. Kanati bows
</div></div>

I'll second that since I own one. Great bow although it's a longbow rather than a recurve. Modern refelex deflex though so in my mind kind of best of both worlds while still being a longbow plus it's SHORT which I love. Good advice on 1+" shorter draw length. A lot of prebuilts are going to be 28" draw so if you happen to fall in the 29" to 29.5" compound draw like a lot of people seem to, you're likely in by default. Get a few in your hands and find a winner. I personally like the 45-50# range even though I started out planning on much higher. Didn't care for them once I shot them...way different feel than compound shooting and the high draw weight took the fun out of it. Traditional archery is a blast, I never tire of flinging arrows through the longbow. My body tires well before I lose interest. Shooting the compound is boring in comparison honestly although I haven't made the full transition. I'm still a sinner. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

180, I own and have thousands of arrows through a (Black Widow)PMAII in Gray Bark.

(certainly a bow you won't be tempted to cover your head with a bag when shooting)

As others have said, Martin puts togather a hell of a stick for the money. Muddy was correct in saying your draw will shorten when shooting a stick. If you can find one that is an inch shorter than your compound draw and 15lbs less draw weight than what you shoot with your wheel bow, I'd start there. The last thing you want to do is struggle holding weight when your form and your ability to consistantly reproduce it are major factors in shooting instinctively.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ParaOps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

(certainly a bow you won't be tempted to cover your head with a bag when shooting)
</div></div>

Para, thanks for the advice. I hope you didn't take offense to my post about the liberty bow. I was just having a little fun. I didn't mean to come across as a smarta$$.

LOL.... I didn't 180....it's all good. Your posted quote was my attempt at being a smarta$$. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

If you haven't shot many recurves, I would pick up a
Hoyt GameMaster. It will have basically the same grip/riser as the Hoyt Tec risers. This should give you some familiarity and not be much change from what you are currently shooting. Try to find one in 40-50#; it is better to start light and work up. After you decide you like it, then you can really start dumping money on the customs (or high end mass production Black Widows ;~))

Well...........................are you the lucky new owner of the Pearson bow? I hope so cause that's the only reason I didn't bid on it.

No, I thought about it, but just never pulled the trigger. I think I want to shoot one first before I make the commitment to purchase one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shovelbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Somebody got a good deal. </div></div>

What did it fetch?

Top Bottom