Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Regulation deciphering

I freakin took it off bc Im sick of being ridiculed for it. I didnt do anything wrong. Lucky I just didnt remove the whole thing. Its funny you care that much. Good day

Drew, how tall is your high horse? Responses like yours are my exact reason I detest posting a harvested deer. Everyone has to break it down and "look" for something wrong. Don't forget to leave your cell phone in the truck on your next hunt...

High horse or short horse or no horse at all , if we don't keep each other honest who do you think will? I happen to appreciate the fact that we do look for the inconsistencies, ethics and morals displayed when people post. Think of what would get posted if we didn't do that. This forum would look like this one.

I don't think anyone would have looked or found anything wrong with your hunt, but you posted it right there for everyone to read! On a public forum no less "MY BUDDY TEXT ME" This thread alone was started because of that. Is a great buck you harvested and a good story. but you should have left out the part of texting deer location.Two way communication device is covered in the regs and hunter safety classes. PS i dont own a horse,nor use my cell in the manner you obviously did.

High horse or short horse or no horse at all , if we don't keep each other honest who do you think will? I happen to appreciate the fact that we do look for the inconsistencies, ethics and morals displayed when people post. Think of what would get posted if we didn't do that. This forum would look like this one.

I get your point, but is that truly "our" job on here to play Iowa Whitetail CSI, and question everyone? What happened to being happy for a guy? We all know the regulation about 2 way radios and how they are outdated in terms of cell phone usage and texting. It's application is more related to deer drives or just driving sections and communicating to another person walking/posted up or driving in their vehicle.

If the DNR would like to update the Regs with a cell phone policy then so be it. I obviously feel different with this issues and yes, it does piss me off. I in no way associate this with using a two way radio or the context on how they are used to tip others off. Unless you are pushing deer with your bow or are able to jump 15-25 feet down out of your stand and catch a deer I guess I just don't see how texting my buddy on the opposite side of a farm about deer movement has anything in common with how we all know two way radios are/can be used in deer drives.

In my opinion, it is just another way to question good honest people. It would be one thing if there was an obvious, intentional problem and I would support it. In this case, it seems like making a mountain out of a mole hill just because.

If anyone can point me in a direction of an iPhone App. that allows for deer mentioned in a random text in an adjacent field or hundreds of yards or miles from my property to work their way to my stand please let me know. I haven't found one yet.

Last edited:
I get your point, but is that truly "our" job on here to play Iowa Whitetail CSI, and question everyone? What happened to being happy for a guy? We all know the regulation about 2 way radios and how they are outdated in terms of cell phone usage and texting. It's application is more related to deer drives or just driving sections and communicating to another person walking/posted up or driving in their vehicle.

If the DNR would like to update the Regs with a cell phone policy then so be it. I obviously feel different with this issues and yes, it does piss me off. I in no way associate this with using a two way radio or the context on how they are used to tip others off. Unless you are pushing deer with your bow or are able to jump 15-25 feet down out of your stand and catch a deer I guess I just don't see how texting my buddy on the opposite side of a farm about deer movement has anything in common with how we all know two way radios are/can be used in deer drives.

In my opinion, it is just another way to question good honest people. It would be one thing if there was an obvious, intentional problem and I would support it. In this case, it seems like making a mountain out of a mole hill just because.

If anyone can point me in a direction of an iPhone App. that allows for deer mentioned in a random text in an adjacent field or hundreds of yards or miles from my property to work their way to my stand please let me know. I haven't found one yet.

Very well put, Sky..:way: I don't feel the guy did anything wrong. If we're going to talk legality... I'd ask how fast do you guys drive to your hunting spot? Do you set your cruise and go the speed limit? How fast do you go on gravel? yeah, Lets not open that can of worms.

The guy got a great deer. People should be happy for him.

Don't get too worked up, it's just the Internet police. :) it's people that obviously have nothing better to do than sit behind the key board and ridicule others on what they believe is right and wrong. Everyone knows this law was brought about to stop people from running deer with radios or cell phones. Not to stop people from texting while in the stand. Anyway who cares if somebody across the section texts you and tells you the activity they are seeing? You can't control what the deer is going to do next? How many times have you been in a stand seen a deer and tried getting it to do what you want? How many times has the deer turned and looked wagged its tail and walked away? It's happened to me plenty of times. But now your saying that a text message from across the section is what sealed the deal on this guys buck? Give me a break. I think if people would stay more focused on what they-themselves are doing and quit whining about what others are doing, it would make the hunting experience more enjoyable for all.

Nobody was ridiculing anybody. I find it hypocritical that you guys will jump all over somebody for discussing the gray areas of deer hunting regs. I don't care if the law offends your sensibilities or if you understand the reasoning behind it.
Rather than cry about it and call names, exlain why you disagree with the regs. But get ready to have someone disagree with your point of view.
After all, this whole thing was brought up for a discussion.

I just passed a button buck heading south so all of you guys south of north liberty better climb down out of your trees. He looks like a runner. Sitting in a tree texting dont tell you nothing. Even if i knew a buck was coming I would spot him 100 yards b4 i could shoot him. I dont see the big deal when bowhunting.

Nobody was ridiculing anybody. I find it hypocritical that you guys will jump all over somebody for discussing the gray areas of deer hunting regs. I don't care if the law offends your sensibilities or if you understand the reasoning behind it.
Rather than cry about it and call names, exlain why you disagree with the regs. But get ready to have someone disagree with your point of view.
After all, this whole thing was brought up for a discussion.

I thought that is what we are doing, discussing how the two-way radio communication and the problem it is trying to deter has nothing in common with texting someone from a stand about random deer movement. My main concern is when we hear someone say, "I shot him right at first light". Now it seems common practice for someone to question, well when was first light, what time did you shoot, etc.

My main point is (at least for me) I don't question every person! Unless I find something that seems truly wrong I will congratulate the guy! That is my first step, admire the hunt and the animal. Not pick through his post with a fine-tooth comb trying to come up with some "grey area" to question.

Many times it doesn't seem like trying to find something for "discussion", but to try and find something that is "wrong". Instead of the thread being on the animal taken, it quickly changes to "ethics" and "legality" when that is not the purpose of a harvest thread. It is created to give praise to the animal and a successful hunt, to discuss and admire or learn from. Not go off on a tangent about was this deer harvested correctly/legally.

Last edited:
we text too but not to inform one another about a deer heading there way .. we sit on different areas too far apart. sitting close defeats the calling part of the hunt ie rattles grunts .. mostly text to inform the other that they have made it to the stand and are up safe. i will send texts of what i see , or to say slow morning lets get lunch... meet at truck.. If you are txting your buddy telling him a deer is walking a trail to his/her location then your probably illegal , and your ethics are in question too

followed by drewgills: "I don't think anyone would have looked or found anything wrong with your hunt, but you posted it right there for everyone to read! On a public forum no less "MY BUDDY TEXT ME" This thread alone was started because of that. Is a great buck you harvested and a good story. but you should have left out the part of texting deer location.Two way communication device is covered in the regs and hunter safety classes. PS i dont own a horse,nor use my cell in the manner you obviously did."

Deciding to leave out that detail of the story because "someone" might take it the wrong way and think it helped him harvest the animal would be right up the ethical and moral alley and the right thing to do?? :confused: The text did NOTHING for him on the hunt. He has nothing to hide. Congrats man! :way:

Wow! Second guessing myself for starting this one.....Just to make it VERY clear, I in no way shape or form intended this thread to be negative towards Willbates, his post, or his ethics. I don't have a problem with texting in the stand. Like others have said as long as it's not being used to gain better position on the deer it doesn't make a difference. I started a NEW thread because I didn't want to ask the question on his thread and take the topic away from his killer deer! As far as why even ask the question in the first place? Yeah it may seem trivial to some, but I felt like it was a very legitimate honest question and I was interested to hear others thoughts on it. I would think well intended questions (trivial or not) would be received with well intended answers.

Wow! Second guessing myself for starting this one.....Just to make it VERY clear, I in no way shape or form intended this thread to be negative towards Willbates, his post, or his ethics. I don't have a problem with texting in the stand. Like others have said as long as it's not being used to gain better position on the deer it doesn't make a difference. I started a NEW thread because I didn't want to ask the question on his thread and take the topic away from his killer deer! As far as why even ask the question in the first place? Yeah it may seem trivial to some, but I felt like it was a very legitimate honest question and I was interested to hear others thoughts on it. I would think well intended questions (trivial or not) would be received with well intended answers.

/\/\/\/\ This

Really don't care to fan any flames here.

There is an old saying: "Ignorance of the law is no excuse." So, I think it is good to talk about the quirks of the regulations so that people can understand them. Then they can proceed accordingly.

Just to make it VERY clear, I in no way shape or form intended this thread to be negative towards Willbates

Guess I misread your initial post then. Sure seemed to me as though you threw him under the bus. Not trying to sound like a dick but if you weren't directing it towards him you shouldn't have involved his name.

As for me though :drink1: I don't have an issue with texting on stand. For one my phone is always on silent and rarely check it. let alone I typically hunt down in a hole and get horrible reception. Plus it breaks up the monotony of a boring day on stand

At the rate technology is advancing, the regs will never keep up if they tried to specifically call out all the different ways to comunicate with an electronic device. If they specify text, then somebody is going to use an instant message app, or email, or twitter, of facebook post.

Keeping it limited to the language they have today leaves it up to the CO's to determine if you did wrong or not.

Although I find it would be difficult for them to have probable cause to have you turn over your cell phone if you have a dead deer in the truck.

For the most part this is a great discussion and a good topic. Lesson learned - be careful what you put in your harvest story.

The lesson I took from it was don't text deer info to your buddy and you won't have to worry about COs writing you ticket or editing your story.

The lesson I took from it was don't text deer info to your buddy and you won't have to worry about COs writing you ticket or editing your story.

What a joke... So along with texting... Everyone that was posting, "live from the stand updates" is illegal as well??? When I receive a text on my phone the deer don't automatically show up to the vibration of my phone... If texting a fellow hunter and telling him what just walked by your set is illegal than a grunt call should be illegal...a grunt call is verbal communication with the deer...a text stating, "just had a 150 walk by me, came from the south and is headed straight north now." This doesn't get the deers attention and tell them to walk by the guy your texting stand...I've sat several times and watched bucks from a hundred yards away and tried my hardest to get them into range but couldn't do it... If only I knew a text message would have done it!!!

Ok I have read all of this thread and here is my take on it. I think that many of you are being a little short sighted on this issue because most of you have made replies that only apply to bow hunting, basicly. What you are missing is that these regulations apply to not only bow hunting, but also shotgun and muzzle loading and late antlerless seasons as well. Two way radios were originally made illegal because they were being used in deer drives to tell people where to go to intercept deer. If these innocent texts between bow hunters are exempt because some one on the next section probably won't see the deer mentioned, then what do we do when the hunters then set up a drive and coordinate it all through texting messages while gun hunting or even bow hunting? Where can we draw a line between one type of hunting and another? It seems to me the simplest way is to make 2 way radio or cell phone or text messages or any other type of electronic communication illegal, and then if you know it is illegal and you still choose to do it then you accept the consequences of your actions. This reply is not meant to start the usual war about deer drives or bad shotgun hunters or any of that other crap, but only to ask that we think a little further than we usually do.:thrwrck:

Top Bottom