Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Releases

Critter

Life Member
Does anyone here use a three finger, or back-tension type release while hunting. I've never shot one, but think I'd like to give one a try. Seems like my velcro wrist style gets in the way when climbing, or is too loud when I have to take it off or on while in my stand. I think it'd be nice to be able to clip a finger release on my string D-loop and leave it there while sitting in the tree. I'm sure there's some pro's and con's to them, hoping you guys can let me know about them.
CRITRGITR

i've played with back tension releases while at work. once you get used to them they're great. i know several guys who come into the shop that use these type of releases when hunting. the only bad thing about them is if you need to shoot in a hurry it may be kind've tough. as far as making noise with the velcro in the stand, i never take mine off from the time i leave my mighty mighty corsica till the time i get back to it after the hunt. to keep mine out of the way while climbing i stuff it back under my elastic part on my sleeve next to my wrist.

I switched from a TRU ball tornado release to the TRUball prodiamond t-handle release. Like you, my wrist release got in the way all the time, especially when rattling plus the velcro sound was always there on drawing. I like the change but had the opportunity to shoot with several types before I made the switch

I shoot the TRU Ball Short & Sweet-Buckle model because it is quiet, easier to conistently repeat the same snug fit (unless you mark your velcro to the same spot everytime) It is a great release to shoot "back tension" style and I shoot it from my middle finger instead of index. This is great if you have a tendancy to punch the trigger. The trigger is the best I have shot. Attaches to string loop easier than a more traditional style caliper head.

Need to make sure which release you are speaking of. Do you mean the back tension target release or a “T†handled release with a caliper jaw and trigger? I’d have to say no to the back tension style, if that is what you are thinking of. Remember, the whole idea of the back tension is to create a “surprise†like release to keep the target shooter from “slapping†the trigger. Theses pose problems on the hunt; because you will often times have to time a shot thru cover or a lane. The “t†handles with calipers pose a different problem…you can drop them, or “shoot†them thru the bow if they slip in cold, rainy/snowy conditions.

Go to your pro shop or local big dealer and shoot a couple to see, but my bet is you’ll feel best about the strap. By the way, most release makers provide a choice of buckle or Velcro…a nice option if you feel you have to take the release off during the hunt. The Tru-ball line spoken of earlier is an excellent balance between shootabilty, adjustment and quiet. Good luck.

also Copper John has some newer models that can be shot with a strap or without in the 2,3 & 4 finger models that have a more Back tension style.

Top Bottom