Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Residency Loophole

MW Peewee

As a follow-up to the party hunting post I started earlier this week, here is the very interesting “rest of the story”……

I just want to say before I start that I have no ill intentions or intend to get anyone in trouble with this post, so names will not be provided. I just want to share what I have found out with a very absurd Iowa law using information that is available to all of us.

The whole story starts with someone providing me information on one of their hunting buddies who arrowed two nice bucks in Iowa last year. I knew this person was not what most of us would refer to as an Iowa resident as they openly claimed to be from another state, so that is where the party hunting question came from – how could a “NR” shoot two bucks here when I can’t even do that unless I would be a resident landowner/tenant per the Iowa hunting regs? Without the party hunting option, I was at a loss.

Being an ethical hunter, I decided to contact one of our fine CO’s in the area where this person hunts and ask how something like this could occur. Let’s just say that I was more than surprised to find out that this hunter is technically an Iowa resident, even though everyone who knows them considers them to live in another state. I am sure many of you are asking how this works, just as I did.

The CO went on to explain that they already knew about this hunter’s situation (I assume it was previously reported or something) and the hunter had been thoroughly checked out clean. This hunter had purchased some farm property with a home on it here in Iowa and per some stupid Iowa state law, they must ONLY spend 30 days (consecutively I think) on this property to be considered an Iowa resident. They pay Iowa state taxes like any resident, and they cannot claim residency in any other state for driver’s license, taxes, hunting licenses, or any other purpose.

Now many of you may not believe this is true, but it definitely is. If you question these facts, please contact your local CO and ask them to confirm whether this is possible. If they say no, you can send me a PM and I can get you in touch with who I visited with.

I just cannot believe such a loophole exists that allows those with plenty of free time and money to take advantage of the hunting community in this way. Although the state allows this, I have completely lost respect for this hunter for what I consider to be an unethical practice to beat the system so they can hunt here every year. There are thousands of other NR hunters, including my family and friends, that must ethically play the lottery/preference point game just to have the opportunity to hunt here, much less shoot two bucks every year.

Any thoughts?

MW Peewee

This has been going on for years and years.....nothing new here.
blush.gif

If he's meeting the requirements of the law (even if it is somewhat backhanded) then what's the big deal?

I guess I am going to find a rundown shack with 10 acres and buy that in IA just so I can hunt there every year. That seems like the thing to do. All that I have to do is say that I "lived" there for 30 days. Sweet.

You also have to pay Iowa income tax, have a drivers license and register to vote here. It isn't as easy as buying a place and stating you have lived there for 30 days.

[ QUOTE ]
You also have to pay Iowa income tax, have a drivers license and register to vote here. It isn't as easy as buying a place and stating you have lived there for 30 days.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize that. I was just being sarcastic. Either way, if it is legal I guess it is legal.

Hey money is money. If he has been thoroughly checked out clean then I'm sure he has thought it all through. I won't fault him. Like they said before, he has to have an Iowa drivers license, claim residency only in Iowa, pay taxes, and live here for 30 straight days a year. Maybe he is retired
grin.gif

I'd take this situation as a compliment. This guy is paying all the necessary taxes, and even spending 30 days or more there, just so he can hunt your wonderful state. If he's been checked out, and is considered to be "clean", like you say, then why complain?? The guy is paying his taxes that benefit the state. As a non - resident myself, I guess I find myself defensive here. In the end, he's paying more than the 425 that I just spent for a non - resident tag. So what he hunts every year. In some regions, you can do that anyway. Especially during gun season.

He has to pay taxes on top of what he pays for his hunting license each year, so the way I see it, he is definately paying for this "loophole" I don't see any reason to complain.

Mark Drury does this same thing. Everyone knows he live outside of St.Louis but he has an Iowa drivers license, Iowa plates on his truck but only claims residencey in Iowa No other state. If he hunts missouri he buys an NR tag for there.

I agree,what is the big deal. If Iowa would get smart they would provide more tags for non-residents and take peoples money. With more funds we could buy more land and improve our chances of having more hunting land. Don't fight them envite them.

be carful what you say..... im an ex iowan and now i have to go throught the non resident thing and what you just said is crazy.... in my opinion they should reduce the number of tags.... iowa is a special place and people that live there should get what they have but non re. should just hope to get drawn in my opinion iowa is a deer heavan and lets keep it that way i might live in california but iowa is my heart.....

No way. I feel that just inviting non-resident to hunt does not mean they are going to kill all the deer. Most likely they will go to an outfitter and spend their money bring some income to the local communities or farmers that lease their land. If you don't want non-residents to hunt on your land don't let them.

This is the reason that the price of hunting land continues to increase at a rapid rate this is common practice for realtors to explain the exact steps for resident licenses.

Top Bottom