Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Right Wing vs Left Wing Feathers

tlambert

PMA Member
I need to fletch up some arrows for my recurve and I was wondering what the diffence in these was.......and I know its not a political thing...

thanks in advance

I think it has to do with th natural curve of the feather. If you want right helical offset you use right wing feathers and if you want left helical offset you use left wing feathers.

The 'Bonker

You won't notice any difference on most bows.

Where they say the difference is....is shooting a bow with a very narrow shelf or say a selfbow off your hand. The concern is that a R wing feather may cut the hand of a R hand shooter, so fletch with L wing and vice versa.

Like Bonker mentioned, you'll want a L clamp for a L wing......

You'll need a different clamp. Straights work best with plastic.

I just purchased a right wing clamp only for my bitz and it was pretty cheap....only about 25$.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> wont make a difference with straight fletch out of a compound.</div></div>

I will respectfully disagree with that. Straight vanes, sure, but don't try to use a straight clamp on feathers.

I agree with 150. I shot traditional for many years and find a left helical works best shooting off a shelf or flipper. The left helical will spin the shaft away from the riser & recover quickly. A straight will fish tail more & further. I shoot as hard a left helical I can get, even the past fews years shooting a compound & carbons. For some reason I always have to ask for left wing feathers, only right wings are on the store shelf???

Shoot right or lefts, it makes no difference. With only a 7 or 8 inch brace height, the arrow isn't even spinning until it's well past the riser. Just don't mix on the same arrow and use the proper clamp.

Shovelbuck is certainly right, it really won't make any real difference in how they shoot for almost all shooters. You will need the correct clamp for you jig and I would probably suggest the left wing. I have found the feathers are usually cheaper and easier to find than right wings for some reason. Since most of the arrows you see are left wing you are used to seeing that and the right wing ones will look strange to you and others. You also might want to look into getting a chopper and cutting your own feathers from full length feathers. If you are cheap like I am you can get 2 5" shield cuts from most of the full length feathers and then you can match them with other feathers cut from the same part of the whole feather, the exception being most of the barred feathers will not yield 2 of these feathers but will make 2 4" ones. Experiment a little and get creative and maybe try splicing feathers and enjoy your self. Look in any of the traditional catalogs like Three Rivers or Lone Wolf and the will list all kinds of feathers and choppers and fletching equipment.

maybe i was misunderstood. I was saying that if your going with straight fletch than Right or Left shouldnt matter...

Do you still think I am wrong?? Explain to me. I guess i am not getting it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Do you still think I am wrong?? Explain to me. I guess i am not getting it.</div></div>

The original question was about feathers, right wing or left. My comment is only that you are by far the best off by using a right helical clamp on right wing feathers or left on left. While some people have been successful using straight clamps on feathers, most will opt to use the correct clamp for the feather. With vanes, then it doesn't matter.

I do agree with the other comments about feathers. Use the correct clamp and make sure your arrows are fletched the same and it doesn't matter if you are right handed or left and shoot right wing or left.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 150 Class</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Do you still think I am wrong?? Explain to me. I guess i am not getting it.</div></div>

The original question was about feathers, right wing or left. My comment is only that you are by far the best off by using a right helical clamp on right wing feathers or left on left. While some people have been successful using straight clamps on feathers, most will opt to use the correct clamp for the feather. With vanes, then it doesn't matter.

I do agree with the other comments about feathers. Use the correct clamp and make sure your arrows are fletched the same and it doesn't matter if you are right handed or left and shoot right wing or left.

</div></div>

OOO ok. I just misunderstood. I agree with you full heartedly. I thought that part was understood.

I used to do a lot of arrows for the archery shop in town and When you put a right wing in a left wing helical clamp you will certainly tell a difference.

I've used a straight clamp with feathers, but in an offset position. It works. Left wing/offset to the left and Right Wing/offset to the right. Helical is a lot better though.

Top Bottom