Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ringing Cedar

I have some spots in the timber where I have smaller halfway decent swamp white oak growing all around large cedars. I have been doing lots of tsi this winter and finally got to this particular area. I dropped what I could but there were a few cedars that I ringed instead of dropping due to me thinking they would not fall well and me not wanting them dropped on trees I was trying to get more light too. I double ringed them and moved on. What can I expect from that? I suppose they will just stay there a long time? Is it worth ringing them or should they really be dropped?

I have some spots in the timber where I have smaller halfway decent swamp white oak growing all around large cedars. I have been doing lots of tsi this winter and finally got to this particular area. I dropped what I could but there were a few cedars that I ringed instead of dropping due to me thinking they would not fall well and me not wanting them dropped on trees I was trying to get more light too. I double ringed them and moved on. What can I expect from that? I suppose they will just stay there a long time? Is it worth ringing them or should they really be dropped?
They typically stand for awhile. Longer than a lot of trees but double ringing (even single) has worked for me.

Not sure on how that would work, but having Swamp White Oak is a huge plus. If you can free them for growth … good idea !

Only Downside on leaving cedars where they are is exactly what stated…. Take long time to decompose. Be nice to cut them up or remove someday in situations where there’s tons of them. But otherwise- probably not a big deal. I love cedars…. Just love ONE about 20-30’ from the next ONE. Or wider when mixed with good hard woods. Swamp whites are a great tree so good work on getting them to flourish!!

Only Downside on leaving cedars where they are is exactly what stated…. Take long time to decompose. Be nice to cut them up or remove someday in situations where there’s tons of them. But otherwise- probably not a big deal. I love cedars…. Just love ONE about 20-30’ from the next ONE. Or wider when mixed with good hard woods. Swamp whites are a great tree so good work on getting them to flourish!!
I'd love them too if that's what they did, instead they grow in herds that claim vast areas of landscape for themselves.

Top Bottom